CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Rob Walter

Profile:
Type 1 diabetic, new to CrossFit

Hi all. Haven't seen a recent thread about diabetics, so starting a new one up. I've been a type 1 most of my life (since 1972) and just recently started CrossFit. I was pretty lazy as far as workouts go until about a year ago. Did Kettle Worx at home for a year, lost the weight I wanted, but felt I needed more from a workout. Saw a local CrossFit gym and signed up!

I must say, my endurance needs work, a lot! :-)

I've have great fun doing the workouts. I did have to relearn how to set my insulin pump for a work out. A lot different compared to the kettle bell swing I did with the DVD's at home. The warm ups general lower my BG level, so I set my pump lower. The WOD definitley increases my BG levels tho! learned that after day number 1. Set my pump to a higher temp basal, plus a small bolus. So far, I've been pretty much in range.

Friday I thought, maybe I need to eat a little more carbs for my post workout meal, help the old liver build up the glycogen, so after an egg and toast, I drove to work and stopped and got some canteloupe.

Anyway, that's my story so far, and I must say, I am enjoying the heck outa CrossFit! Can't wait to build up my endurance and strength over time. I know it won't happen over night, it's a journey, and it is just starting!