CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
Jen Greenwich

Profile:
Re: dizzyness, shakyness, and low lying headache...need some advise

For me, it doesn't matter how well or clean I eat, if I don't sleep, I'm useless in the gym. I think that stress and a lack of sleep are the problem.

I'm not surprised a GP just wrote out a prescription for Celexa, as that seems to be becoming more and more common. Most doctors get 6 WEEKS of psychopharmacology in medical school, so it's a practice that makes me extremely uncomfortable.

I hope your situation improves. I have a feeling that if your stress level goes down, your WODs will improve and your anxiety will go away.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Justin,
I'm going through the same thing currently. I have been through this before a year ago and kinda of know what's going on with myself. I have had all kinds of test done:

Wore a Heart Monitor for 24 hours
Stress Test
EKG's
Blood work etc....

I don't have heart problems nor do I have abnormal blood work. According to my doctor the only thing that he didn't like was my resting heart rate which is at 42. He was okay with it when he found out how much I work out and after we did the stress test. I just recently had all this done within the last week or so.

When this happened to me last time I took a week off of working out and still ate properly and everything went back to normal. This time I chalk it up to stress and working out to much or to many days in a row.

What I've done that has helped me this time is stop working out for a few days, eat properly, try to sleep and avoid stress when you can and stop drinking anything that is an upper type stimulant. Energey drinks, coffee etc....

I took a week off then worked out 2 days in a row then took another 2 days off. It seems to help so far. Any other question let me know.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Namir Yedid

Profile:

I know you mentioned not wanting to take the Celexa, and that is a personal decision. But one consideration is that if you really are suffering from an anxiety disorder or chronic depression, the meds can help you get your feet under you and make changes in your life so that you can ultimate cycle off of them.

Consider this: if you had pneumonia, would you feel like you wanted to take a "natural" approach to deal with the infection or would you take antibiotics? If you had an appendix that was going to rupture, would you skip surgery to remove it?

I know that people have all sorts of reasonable and well-founded objections to psychiatric medications. I don't want to argue those right now. But I also know that they can make real, measurable differences in people's lives. The meds can help people get up enough momentum to get into therapy or deal with underlying issues that are causing the depression. And for some who have chronic anxiety, the meds may be a choice that helps them live more full, less compromised lives. There's nothing wrong with that and no shame in needing help.

If you treat the meds as a crutch to help your recover from whatever you're dealing with, you can plan to get off of them after an interval of time. It also sounds like you have a lot of stress right now, and meds can help you through those especially difficult patches and help you get back to smooth sailing.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namir Yedid View Post
I know you mentioned not wanting to take the Celexa, and that is a personal decision. But one consideration is that if you really are suffering from an anxiety disorder or chronic depression, the meds can help you get your feet under you and make changes in your life so that you can ultimate cycle off of them.

Consider this: if you had pneumonia, would you feel like you wanted to take a "natural" approach to deal with the infection or would you take antibiotics? If you had an appendix that was going to rupture, would you skip surgery to remove it?

I know that people have all sorts of reasonable and well-founded objections to psychiatric medications. I don't want to argue those right now. But I also know that they can make real, measurable differences in people's lives. The meds can help people get up enough momentum to get into therapy or deal with underlying issues that are causing the depression. And for some who have chronic anxiety, the meds may be a choice that helps them live more full, less compromised lives. There's nothing wrong with that and no shame in needing help.

If you treat the meds as a crutch to help your recover from whatever you're dealing with, you can plan to get off of them after an interval of time. It also sounds like you have a lot of stress right now, and meds can help you through those especially difficult patches and help you get back to smooth sailing.
I agree with all of this. ^ I used to suffer from Anixety attacks for a solid 5 years straight. Now, they pop up and stick around for a month or so and then go away for 6 to 7 months and come back.

But, do check how much you're training and maybe back off a bit. Less stress on the body.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #15
Nik Nichols

Profile:

How are you feeling now Joe?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #16
Jen Greenwich

Profile:

I fully support the use of psychiatric medications when it's appropriate, but in this case, it seemed more like a GP just trying to diagnose something without necessarily really knowing what was going on.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Justin DiCarlo

Profile:

Hey guys

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Even though everyday is sort of a struggle....I am trying to get in the gym as much as possible....it is really like therapy for me. My mood is better, I started to take some St. Johns Wort for my so called "depression"....trying to keep busy....my workouts feel a bit better. The shakyness has sort of subsided which is good. I am still lightheaded everyday......but do feel better after working out....which I am thankful for. Still get the headaches.....nothing I can really do about it at this point without health insurance.

I am seeing the local clinic for therapy once a week......

From everything I read....I either have some obscure disease....or it is just anxiety/depression......

I am slowly feeling better....its just so freaking slow though.....I guess I am just learning to live feeling this way....which sucks.

Thanks guys

Justin
Old 07-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

Clinical depression can suck the energy, motivation, and any sense of well being right out of you. Seriously messes with appetite, sleep, and libido as well.