CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Jonathan Renner

Profile:
WOD's for weight loss

So here's the deal. About a month ago, a friend of mine started working out with me. He's a big guy, having built up a lot of fat. He's a former football player and LaCross goalie, so he's got some athletic experience albeit ten years ago, which I figured should help, at least mentally. And to his credit, he is pretty mentally tough, and really pushes through discomfort.

The GOOD so far is that we've seen his strength increase. A benchmark workout that we do to gauge his fitness is 20 heavy tire flips. He's gone from 5 minutes to 3:15.

So obviously that's good, but the BAD is that he hasn't noticed any fat loss in his midsection yet. He's encouraged by the strength gains and increased athleticism in general, but I fear that he may lose faith if he doesn't start SEEING the results soon.

What are some good WOD's that you think could increase metabolism/promote fat loss? Thus far, we've done about 20 minutes of strength training and finished the day up with a short to medium length MetCon workout. I'm thinking of increasing the length of the MetCon. We work out about four times/week.

And really, just any tips in general to help coach this guy would be appreciated. This is my first time really personal training anybody, and he's a good friend of mine. I want to do it right and not waste his time.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: WOD's for weight loss

What does his nutrition look like? He could do the most effective training program in existence, but if he eats crap he won't see much in the way of results.

As far as training, some basic strength work on the big lifts combined with a metcon in the 6-12 minute range, 3-4x per week, is probably the best thing he could be doing. A 20-30 minute fasted walk right after waking up in the morning wouldn't hurt either.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

You can do strength and Metcons all day until you drop, but I'd you are eating more calories than you are burning, it won't help him lose the fat. If you are going to workout 4-6 times a week, have him eat for maintenance and the workouts that you guys are doing will/should burn enough calories to put him at a deficit. If that doesn't work fast enough, try 100-200 calories below maintenance. I don't recommend going below 300 calories below maintenance. I did it and lost too much strength.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Yep, echo the diet pose from Eric and Paulo. Diet is it. It is all about diet. When i had a kidny stone (years ago) they told me to cut out dark sodas. I lost 10 pounds from that.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Thank you for the responses. I've mentioned it before, but I stressed the importance of nutrition today. Come to find out that he eats pretty well for the most part, aside from his penchant for pretzels and soda. Intake of those obviously needs to decline.

Thanks again for the responses and I'll bump this thread with new inquiries if need be!

FTR, he's lost seven pounds in three and a half weeks, which is actually better than it sounds, considering he's been doing a lot of strength training, as he's undoubtedly added some muscle, while still cutting enough fat for a net weight loss. So we'll get there!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Simply cutting out the sodas could probably result in 10-20lbs of weight loss in a month all by itself, depending on how much he's currently drinking in a normal day.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
Dan Douglas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Renner View Post
FTR, he's lost seven pounds in three and a half weeks
Sounds like he just needs to adjust his expectations, that is "theoretically perfect" weight loss unless he is severely overweight or changed his diet to low carb and has lost a lot of water weight.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

How big are we talking here? Weight and Height.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

7lbs in 3 weeks is really good. You can't ***** about that.

Let's be honest here though...there might be some minor muscle gain but the rate of muscle growth is DAMN SLOW in reality. Some documentation shows maybe 1/2 a lb per week and just over 20lbs per year.

A lot of weight gain is also just glycogen stores.

Yeah, pretzels and soda sound pretty worthless. Basically liquid sugar fructose and salt, a tidbit of fat and a ****load of carbs.

Being that he is a former strength athlete, something along the lines of GSLP will be something that he will be into. Or CFFB, 70sbig whatever.

Especially as he is getting back into it, build up that strength base again. Sure you can beat the **** outta noobs and returnees with MetconCity but meh.