CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: Adding running post wod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan K Smith View Post
If your legs were shot the next day, it wasn't light. It might have been easy for you, but that doesn't make it "light".
Thank you for being the voice of reason.

"light" for somebody means they have zero or very, very minimal recovery afterward. If you're sore, it wasn't light.

Note that what is light for you may increase or decrease over time. When I'm working out faithfully, a 2-mile run at my usual pace is light cardio. I won't feel a thing afterwards. If I've been lazy and haven't run in 3 months, the same run will leave me a little sore the next day. It's still super-easy, but it's not light because I have to recover from it.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
60 minutes of anything is not light, it takes your body longer to recover from steady state then intervals.
60 Minutes of brisk walking is definitely light and if the incline is steep enough, burns a reasonable amount of calories. You can't generalize recovery this way.

To the OP: To shed fat, you need to cut calories. When you cut calories, your recovery is impaired, so doing a ton of strength training, high intensity intervals + long distance running is going to cause nothing but overtraining.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #13
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
60 Minutes of brisk walking is definitely light and if the incline is steep enough, burns a reasonable amount of calories. You can't generalize recovery this way.

To the OP: To shed fat, you need to cut calories. When you cut calories, your recovery is impaired, so doing a ton of strength training, high intensity intervals + long distance running is going to cause nothing but overtraining.
Brisk walking? Whats the name of the thread? If the OP has a 19 minute 5k thats less then 20 or 30 or 60 minutes but I wouldnt call it light. Just because you're not sore does not mean its not causing a recovery issue.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan K Smith View Post
If your legs were shot the next day, it wasn't light. It might have been easy for you, but that doesn't make it "light".
They were shot because I did things I never did before. Not to mention that I worked out in the afternoon and then did the workout the next morning. I've done the same workouts again with no issues. Live and learn.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
Brisk walking? Whats the name of the thread? If the OP has a 19 minute 5k thats less then 20 or 30 or 60 minutes but I wouldnt call it light. Just because you're not sore does not mean its not causing a recovery issue.
No reason to be aggressive, my point was merely that it depends on the session's intensity, duration, as well as the rest of the person's program and that person's current training status, nutrition, and genetics.