CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
Michael Zoda

Profile:
Distance runner with IT band trouble

So I finished my first half marathon at the end of November. A buddy of mine, who is a further along than me with his training, but still only ran his first half 2 months prior to mine, was planning on running a full marathon in march. I wanted to run it with him. Decided to do Higdon's novice 2 and start at week 5. Basically upped my mileage hardcore after my half so I would finish the routine in time for the marathon. It was stupid, and for some reason I didn't realize how much I was increasing my weekly mileage. I figured week 5 would be okay because I have ran the distance of that weeks long run before. Didn't realize how much of an overall weekly mileage increase it was. 2 weeks in I went to do a simple 4 miler and my knee was KILLING me at the end. Rested it for a week, went back to running, the pain came back. Since then I have not been running. Every week I will try to go out and run but around 1.5 miles my knee just starts hurting. I cant even work a shift at work without knee pain. I'm a server at a restaurant so I'm constantly on my feet. about 2 hours into my shift, I start to feel discomfort in my knee, that lasts for the rest of the shift and even when I get home. Its not as bad as when I run but it's still there.
Anyways I have not been able to go out and run through it like most sites have said. It pretty much starts about 1-1.5 miles in and forces me to stop running. I have been foam rolling/massaging on a lacrosse ball/stretching and doing hip mobility work. I can't say I have been doing it every day, but I do it a decent amount. Is my job holding my healing back or am I just not rehabbing enough? I would also like to note that I have not stopped squatting/deadlifting and have been rowing as a substitute. I have not had ANY pain with these exercises, only with running/walking. The pain is on the outside of the knee slightly lower than the knee cap, even close to the very very highest point of my calf. I haven't ran in about 3 weeks aside from 2 attempts to run 3 miles (and being forced to stop 1 mile in). Not really sure what I should do.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Michael Zoda

Profile:
Re: Distance runner with IT band trouble

I realized my original post is pretty jumbled. I typed it out pretty quick. Heres a shortened version of the story.

I upped my weekly mileage by a lot too soon and started getting pain in my knee. The pain is located on the outside of the knee, below the kneecap. I consider it to be close if not on the highest point of my calf. I assumed it was IT band syndrome, caused by overuse. Because of this, I stopped running about 3-4 weeks ago. Since I stopped running I have been rehabbing my IT band. I have been foam rolling, massaging with a lacrosse ball, and working on hip mobility. During these 3 weeks of rehab I have tried to run a few times and each time I had to stop 1 mile in due to knee pain. Every time I try to run I cant make it past 1 mile. The knee also hurts when I'm at work. I work as a server at a restaurant. About 2 hours into my shift my knee will start having some discomfort. The discomfort felt at work is not as bad as the pain felt when running, but it lasts the rest of the night.

During my time off from running I have been rowing as a substitute. I also continued my weightlifting. None of these exercises caused any pain so I did not feel the need to eliminate them. Pain is only caused by running/walking. Basically after 3 weeks of not running, I am still experiencing pain. Tonight I worked an 8 hour and it was pretty sore when I got home. I cant even imagine trying to go for a run.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Shoes? Running technique/form?

Also, page 4 here... do most everything, especially glute work wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/
Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Michael Zoda

Profile:

I run in Brooks gts 10's. They're support shoes, not minimalist. I am flat footed, tried going minimalist with nike frees and my calves were always sore, and I started developing some ankle soreness. So I switched back to my support shoes and have been running okay ever since. (aside from this injury, but I think its more due to the rapid increase in miles.)

As far as running form goes, I usually just run. Sometimes I try to land with a midfoot strike, under my center of gravity because I've read that that was better. Although I must admit, that's the most attention I've ever gave to running form.

Definitely gonna start up with some of that glute work.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Michael Zoda

Profile:

I think I have some biomechanical problems going on, but I'm not quite sure how to diagnose them. When I started running I used to get pain right in the hip flexors, right around the TFL. That went away with some serious mobilitywod stuff. Ever since then my hip cracks and pops all the time. ANY time I do leg abduction my hip pops or cracks. Its not painful it just pops a lot. It feels like its coming from really deep in the hip, almost the lower back. On top of that now I develop IT band syndrome.

I've read good/bad things about barefoot/minimalist. I've read about POSE and Chi running but have not been able to get the technique down 100%. I often ask myself, why some of these world class marathoners can get away with heel striking and never even have to consider POSE/Chi/Barefoot, and run just fine. Anyway's I think I might have some biomechanical issues going on with my hip. Should I see a somebody about this? I'm wary to go to an orthopedic doctor, for I have almost no faith in them. All they ever do is prescribe NSAIDS and send me to a damn PT who probably will not know anything about how I can fix my running form to prevent this from happening again.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
It feels like its coming from really deep in the hip, almost the lower back.
Do you currently have a leg length discrepancy?

Could be an SI joint problem, which can manifest a lot of things at the hip and knee.

Might be a good idea to hit up a chiro or PT for an eval
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Michael Ko

Profile:

If you were my patient, I'd be looking at your calcaneus and pelvis.

If you want professional help, I know of PT's that are very well versed in treating the pelvis in NY or PA. Message me if you want some names and phone numbers.