CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Matthew Bryer

Profile:
I just finished
50 ball throws
50 pull-ups
35 ball
35 pull

It took me 50 min! By the end I was doing sets of 1 and 2 pull ups. Do you guys/ girls think its better to do the reps the way I did or to get more reps faster by using the gravitron?
Thanks! Mattyb
Old 04-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Brian Cornwell

Profile:
Are you kipping?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Martin Schap

Profile:
I would do them in singles and doubles, and definitely learn to kip if you can't already. If you're completing the workouts you will soon improve.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
James Goodell

Profile:
This thread contains some interesting thoughts on the subject:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/27866.html
Dan M's idea is something that I regularly use (hey, if Eva likes it then it must be good). I go as hard as I can with Rx'ed weights (even if they reduce me to singles) and give myself a time cutoff that will keep me in the game tomorrow.

Often when people aren't good at pullups, they haven't done a lot of pullups (funny how that works). If they jump from a program with a lot less pullups than crossfit (say for example, just about everything else), and then attempt to jump straight into Rx'ed loads of pullups, they may end up on the sidelines with shoulder or elbow problems purely due to the increased training volume that they asked their joints to jump into. To be fair, they also may not, and if they don't, they'll make dramatic gains. I recommend doing real pullups in singles and doubles instead of the gravitron if you're able to, and keeping an eye on your weekly pullup volume, looking to steadily increase it over time. There are numerous testimonials of people who were horrible at pullups, then did a ton of them and improved dramatically. There are also pullup-related stories on the injury board, most (if not all) of which were due to either poor form or too steep a ramp up in training volume. Pullups are a fantastic exercise, don't get me wrong (I actually high-fived my pullup bar when I first got 20), but how quickly you should work into them depends on your age, your recovery (sleep/diet/life/genetics), whether or not you have any history of shoulder and/or elbow problems, etc, etc.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
Matthew Bryer

Profile:
Thanks James! You know, I was doing more and more reading on cf website, from the message board and cf. A lot of people were saying that they work out at an intensity that puts them on the verge of puking. I work hard, and am able to reach that feeling some days. That day the workout took so long and I wasn't sweating or feeling like I was working in the cf "zone" or working in the philosophy. I think I am going to stick with the real ones, get my reps no matter what or how long it takes. I know my time will improve. Thanks for your input, I totally agree with the singles and doubles.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Mike Viviani

Profile:
what is kipping?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
James Goodell

Profile:
From Lynne's outstanding FAQ:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Exercises13