CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Steven Thunander

Profile:
CrossFit barbell comparasion sheet

Anyone have one of these?
If you have any others or any commentary, please add it. The goal is to eventually create a sheet of barbells.

Rogue Ohio Bar
Rogue Fitness
Strength- 190k PSI
Great whip, not loud when dropped
Moderately aggressive knurl
Your choice of coating (oxides, Satin Hard Chrome (extra cost)
Price-$282.00 (Before shipping)

Pendlay Nextgen Bushing Bar
Muscledriver USA
Strength- 190k PSI
Great whip, not loud when dropped
Moderately aggressive knurl
Price $339.99 (Free shipping CONUS)

Rogue Bar
Rogue Fitness
Strength- 155k PSI
Great whip, loud when dropped
moderately aggressive knurl
Price-$274.00

Team AF bar (All Silver, Black/Silver, all black)
Again Faster
Strength- 165k PSI
Great whip, very loud when dropped
aggressive knurl, but OK when using chalk
Price-$209.00 for 20kg, less for 15 kg bar

The Excalibur Bar
Rep Fitness
Strength-200k psi
Great whip, great spin
Knurling-moderate
Options of Zinc or Magnesium coating
Price-$289.00
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Andrew Daggon

Profile:
Re: CrossFit barbell comparasion sheet

You have the tensile strength of the other bars but only the yield of the Excalibur Bar. The Tensile Strength of the Excalibur Bar is actually even higher at 215k!

Last edited by Andrew Daggon : 01-02-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Robert Le

Profile:

i got the ohio v1.1 a few weeks ago. here are some pictures. i dont have too much experience with other barbells, but the knurling feels fantastic!

http://i.imgur.com/aRT9CXk.jpg (wfs)

http://i.imgur.com/sspmR8n.jpg (wfs)

http://i.imgur.com/7VtoWir.jpg (wfs)
Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Standard Rogue bar knurling is more aggressive than the Pendlay bar, at least that's how it feels to me.

There's definitely different categories of barbells though. Westside bar is really a great bar for heavy squats/deads/bench, but you wouldn't want to use it for weightlifting or, say, Grace. That wouldn't feel good on your hands and wrists for long. On the other side, I wouldn't want to use a Pendlay bar or anything with bearings for the kind of powerlifting the Westside bar has in mind, or really the aforementioned Grace, just because they aren't built for that kind of sustained abuse or that much weight. Rogue/AF/"CrossFit" bars will work for either range of that spectrum but give up a little on each side.

So, I guess my point is, you shouldn't just lump them all together and compare, because it's not apples to apples.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Standard Rogue bar knurling is more aggressive than the Pendlay bar, at least that's how it feels to me.
I agree 100% based on owning a Pendlay bar and using Rogue bars elsewhere.

Another important data point is bar diameter. The Pendlay bar is the correct diameter for Olympic lifting but both Rogue bars are not. I don't know about the other bars on the list. This is probably only of interest to people who plan on competing in Olympic lifting but still worth mentioning.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
Jason Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post

There's definitely different categories of barbells though. Westside bar is really a great bar for heavy squats/deads/bench, but you wouldn't want to use it for weightlifting or, say, Grace. That wouldn't feel good on your hands and wrists for long. On the other side, I wouldn't want to use a Pendlay bar or anything with bearings for the kind of powerlifting the Westside bar has in mind, or really the aforementioned Grace, just because they aren't built for that kind of sustained abuse or that much weight. Rogue/AF/"CrossFit" bars will work for either range of that spectrum but give up a little on each side.

So, I guess my point is, you shouldn't just lump them all together and compare, because it's not apples to apples.
^^^^this. We have a Rogue Blackjack Bearing bar and a Rogue Ohio Bar (w/ black oxide finish) at my gym. I love the BJB bar for snatches and such, due to the outstanding whip from the needle bearings, and the fact that it hardly makes any sound whatsoever when dropped. But, I definitely wouldn't want to deadlift with the Blackjack.

I find myself going to the Ohio for my "go-to" bar for just about everything. If (when) I get my own bar, it'll most likely be an Ohio (w/ black oxide).

So, I guess to add to your list:

Rogue Blackjack Bearing Bar
Rogue Fitness
Strength- 185k PSI
Outstanding whip, almost silent when dropped
Moderate knurl - no center knurl
Black Zinc shaft and Bright zinc sleeves
Price-$559.00 (Before shipping)
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
Steven Thunander

Profile:

The only two bars I have personal experience with are the Team AF bar, the Rogue Bar, and the Rogue Ohio bar (v1.2). I own the AF bar, and used the Rogue bars at an affiliate. The other reviews are from reviews posted on various websites and this board.

Last edited by Steven Thunander : 01-03-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Here is my 2 cents.

Had a Rogue Bar for just about three years. Used it for pretty much everything. Crossfit and weightlifting. Good bar for sure. I sold it this fall.

I now have a Pendlay Bearing Bar and use it for everything. Many of you may scoff, but it isn't in an affiliate or gym setting so it is just me. I use it for Crossfit and lifting and it ends up in my squat stand too. I also lift on the Rogue bars at the gym I am a member of and spent months using the Pendlay HD bar as well.

My own preference is either of the Pendlay bars over the Rogue. Rogue bars are just fine too. They spin decent and I don't really notice a difference. I try to pay attention to my technique moreso than the equipment.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Here is my 2 cents.

Had a Rogue Bar for just about three years. Used it for pretty much everything. Crossfit and weightlifting. Good bar for sure. I sold it this fall.

I now have a Pendlay Bearing Bar and use it for everything. Many of you may scoff, but it isn't in an affiliate or gym setting so it is just me. I use it for Crossfit and lifting and it ends up in my squat stand too. I also lift on the Rogue bars at the gym I am a member of and spent months using the Pendlay HD bar as well.

My own preference is either of the Pendlay bars over the Rogue. Rogue bars are just fine too. They spin decent and I don't really notice a difference. I try to pay attention to my technique moreso than the equipment.
I know. My next bar purchase is between the Rogue Ohio, the Pendlay Nexgen bushing, or the possible new offering from Again Faster (their rumored comp bar).
Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #10
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Here is a link to an older CF barbell thread, no information about the newer bars is there, though.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=79686 WFS