CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #161
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Sharknado

Oh, and I am trying to do some kind of conditioning twice a week. Or at least I'm going to start that soon. These 2+ hour lifting sessions 3 days a week were really taxing my recovery for the first little bit.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #162
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Also, in other news... I would blow this "Pool" event at the Games out of the water for sure... 10x(25y swim, 3 bar MUs, 25y swim)? Piece. Of. Cake :P
Am I the only one who imagines bad things happening going straight from the pool, wet hands and all, to doing bar muscle-ups, which will surely involve a massive kip from most competitors?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #163
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I imagine they will be toweling off but the pullups on Catch 22 were tough even with that.

At least it won't be raining and they should have plenty of dry towels. I'm thinking the swimming will make their hands pruny and I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of rips.

Maybe they can tape the bars at least?

But there might be some accidents which will be bad since I imagine it's just concrete under the bars, not ground.

Jeff, why don't you test it out for us and tell us.

25 yd swims would kill me. I remember my swim workouts at the Berkeley pool. Utter hate.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #164
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i understand an open water ocean swim but not a pool? how is that real world functional fitness? why would i jump in the water and swim when i can just walk around the outside of the pool? i think i would just spring around the outside of the pool and call it "scaling" the workout. maybe i'll jump in when i am finished to cool off.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #165
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

With the pool, they can turn it into a couplet. If you were to look at MP, they used to do pool workouts a long time ago. I know some of my friends used to do them with a DB.

There are also unnecessary dangers to the open swim. Besides the really ****ty water around LA (Santa Monica has some of the worst you can possibly swim in) there was the accident with Mikko a few years back.

Incorporating mini run/bike/swim/row (CFE stuff) satisfies the endurance aspect that CF contends with regarding to IronMan and fitness mags focusing on those. It won't satisfy those Ultra-endurance types but satisfies enough people.

SeALs swim though I'm not sure how much SealFit swims in their program. Much of the public generally considers SeALs to pretty much the Elite when it comes to Military regarding conditioning. "Oh, you're a SeAL, you must be pretty badass (besides insanely conditioned)."

Old 07-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #166
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
With the pool, they can turn it into a couplet. If you were to look at MP, they used to do pool workouts a long time ago. I know some of my friends used to do them with a DB.

There are also unnecessary dangers to the open swim. Besides the really ****ty water around LA (Santa Monica has some of the worst you can possibly swim in) there was the accident with Mikko a few years back.

Incorporating mini run/bike/swim/row (CFE stuff) satisfies the endurance aspect that CF contends with regarding to IronMan and fitness mags focusing on those. It won't satisfy those Ultra-endurance types but satisfies enough people.

SeALs swim though I'm not sure how much SealFit swims in their program. Much of the public generally considers SeALs to pretty much the Elite when it comes to Military regarding conditioning. "Oh, you're a SeAL, you must be pretty badass (besides insanely conditioned)."
SEALs are elite regarding pain factor for sure! Many don't train the way they do in BUD/s afterwards. More emphasis on strength and powerful runs/swims with the occasional meat grinder for good measure.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #167
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Range compilation from yesterday. 2 hours made into 5 mins lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXY8Hy-Q9tU WFS

Old 07-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #168
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

That would make sense from what I see SealFit does. I know another ex Seal but only have a clue of what he possibly does. He runs a CF but I know he does WL and gymnastics.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #169
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
That would make sense from what I see SealFit does. I know another ex Seal but only have a clue of what he possibly does. He runs a CF but I know he does WL and gymnastics.
More and more they recognize that the constant long range stuff wears warriors out. You need to do some long distance every now and again, but if you can have a 2 mile and under beast who is strong and athletic, you are better all around.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #170
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
I imagine they will be toweling off but the pullups on Catch 22 were tough even with that.

At least it won't be raining and they should have plenty of dry towels. I'm thinking the swimming will make their hands pruny and I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of rips.

Maybe they can tape the bars at least?

But there might be some accidents which will be bad since I imagine it's just concrete under the bars, not ground.

Jeff, why don't you test it out for us and tell us.

25 yd swims would kill me. I remember my swim workouts at the Berkeley pool. Utter hate.
I'd guess I'd be somewhere in the range of 7-8 minutes depending how far away they put the pullup bars - as I just said in the Games thread, I wouldn't be surprised if they were off of the deck and mounted in sand somewhere. Or at least, that's what I would do for safety...

I really would like to test it out though, finding a pool isn't the hard part, it's finding a pool with a pullup bar near enough.