CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Hi everyone,

The point has been brought up recently in posts on these boards that animals fats (especially saturated fats) are an important dietary component for traditional diets. This flies in the face of Dr. Sears' dietary advice. However, it cannot be denied that saturated fat and the nutrition it afforded was a major component of most "primitive" humans' diets for as long as it was available.

These days, fat from animals is lacking in nutrients and is the storage location of PCBs exposed to the animal during its life. This makes eating animal fat a bad idea, unless that fat is known to be clean and hopefully nutrient-rich. I'm trying to think of sources for such fat, and possibly clean organ meats, but I am afraid there is no easy answer. I want to do this because I am interested in following a paleo diet - not one based on lemon juice, olive oil, and tons of vegetables, which no cave-person would have eaten unless starving, but one based more on healthy animal foods.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Donald Woodson

Profile:

I'd thought about your question for a while and thought about mentioning wild game meats, but seeing how the critters around here eat a lot of the same things as the domesticated protein sources do, I couldn't say how nutritious or clean wild game meat is.
I'd also read that young arctic and antarctic mammals and fish have the cleanest fat around.
Not that I'd recommend a baby snow seal clubbing expedition or anything...
I may be wrong but in my thinking, salmon, trout and sardine fats are about as healthy as it gets anymore.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I went to a local butcher shop today at lunch with a lot of questions about their various meat products. They told me with pride that they only sell "chairman's reserve" free-range grass-fed beef. FRGF meat is pretty clean in my book. They also had baby beef livers from FRGF animals as well, which I will be trying as soon as I find a good recipe.

I am wary of eating much seafood as more and more data is collected on all of the pollutants in fish these days. However, if you stick to things like wild alaskan salmon or other fish caught wild in remote parts of the sea, I would think that would be pretty clean from mercury or PCBs.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:35 PM   #4
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Yeah I've read a little about contaminated seafood. I already gave up my beloved oysters. I'll die before I give up crab legs.
The thing about the grass fed free range beef. I've seen farmers spraying either chemical fertilizers, pesticides or both across their fields of alfalfa, which is then dried and made into hay bales. I couldn't say whether that's what they feed the beef your butcher is talking about, but...
I dunno, seems like no matter what we eat, it's liable to have something wrong with it.
OTOH, maybe we can learn to adapt, like we always do.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Ben,

This might be what you're looking for:

http://www.mercola.com/forms/salmon.htm

http://www.mercola.com/forms/chicken.htm

http://www.mercola.com/forms/bison.htm

http://www.mercola.com/forms/ostrich.htm
Old 04-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
Michael Hill

Profile:

Ben,

Try these sites, I've ordered from a number of places and by far these are the best I've found in terms of quality, price and adherence to raising clean animals.

1) www.vitalchoice.com
The fish is not cheap generally, but is you buy the bulk large cuts it it far cheaper than anything else wild and tested for purity. I believe they give "free" shipping on orders over $100

2) http://www.organicpastures.com
I don't know if you eat any dairy, but these are some of the best I've found. Shipping is a little expensive.

3) http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/
This is the place you will probable be most interested in. They have a full line of totally grass-fed organic meats including Beef, Lamb, Goat, Bison, Poultry, and Pork among other things. They have great customer service and are very dedicated to what they do.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ben-

the Std. fat issue is interesting to me. We certainly consumed some as part of our ancestral diet but when looking at the fatty acid composition of grassfed vs grainfed meats the grainfed meats are much higer in both Satd. fat and N-6 fats.

Grassfed/wild meat I think is preferable with lean cuts of conventional meat following those.

Check out Loren Cordains article on the fatty acid composition of wild ruminants for more information in this area.
Robb
Old 04-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
George Shelton

Profile:
Try wild venison, elk, caribou etc. I have gone one step further than "free range". I hunt and kill my own meat with a bow I built myself out of a piece of yew. I harvested the wood for the bow and I build my own arrows. I make broadheads out of obsidian. Not necessary but I enjoy it. The meat is delicious and much healthier than store bought. Wild ungulates are probably as close to real paleo protein as we can get.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:02 AM   #9
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Now that's the only way to hunt George! I prefer the wild game meats myself.
Is your bow made from pacific yew? Is that as good as the yew from England? I'm making a hickory bow right now. I'm going to back it with deer sinew. I'm planning on building one out of Osage Orange when I find a piece straight enough.

Sorry about the highjack Ben. The thing about wild game meat though, is that it is generally very lean. Hardly any fat at all. I think because of this, paleo man must've scored most of his fat from nuts.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:59 AM   #10
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Thanks everyone for providing the interesting links to read!

Paleo people ate organs, and did not favor the muscle meats. Sources of fat were the most valued in an animal - brain, eyes, tongue, especially liver, kidneys, etc. The organs were the parts of the animal that provided most of the nutrition to a carnivore. If you look at other carnivorous animals like big cats, they do the same thing, leaving the muscles uneaten. The only time paleo people ate muscle meat is if there wasn't any organ meat or fat around. Also, when the muscle meat WAS used it was usually mixed with fat (see pemmican). I will agree that lean meat is pretty free from problems related to a polluted environment compared to fat, and grassfed meat is very different from grainfed in properties.