CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Kyan Adams

Profile:
How am I eating? Help

Hey everyone... I started CrossFit 7 weeks ago and I've adopted the paleo lifestyle. Ive always exercised, weights, cardio, globo gym but I'm pretty much a bambi when it comes to this level of training. Currently I'm 26 6ft 179# and I'm mainly trying to become more fit, stronger overall and shed some body fat(currently around 13%). So far in the last 7 weeks I've gone from 188-179 but weight loss isnt my goal. My body fat is noticably lower, not where I'd like it yet, but I kinda feel skinny and like I've lost some muscle. My strength has fluctuated but overall its gone up. Is this part of the process or do I need to eat more?

Breakfast: 2whole eggs 3 whites, 2 fried bacon strips, half an orange
Lunch: 4-6oz turkey, half an avocado and a medium sweet potato
Snack: 1 packet of cashews or almonds and an apple or other fruit
Post WOD: protien shake and some kind of fruit
Dinner: 4-6oz chicken, turkey, beef, half an avocado and a bowl of spinach or other leafy green.

So thats a typical day for me substitute some things here and there. I haven't counted calories or weighed my food out. Should I look into that? Any recommendations you guys could give a newbie as far as my typical diet goes? I know this seems kinda all over the place, too many questions keep popping up in my head! haha
Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: How am I eating? Help

I would take a typical day and see how many calories you are eating, this way you can adjust your intake depending on your goals.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:

You could try the 21 day sugar detox program http://balancedbites.com/category/21-day-sugar-detox. That'd be a good way to shed some body fat. It'll also allow you to maintain a healthy amount of protein to help with building muscle.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

Hey Kyan i would say at your size you may need more protein in your diet. Your breakfast looks ok(and delicious i might add), but lunch and dinner seem like small portions of protein. Look up the macros and aim for 1gm of protein per pound of lean body mass, maybe a tad more if youre NOT looking to lose any more weight.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyan Adams View Post
Hey everyone... I started CrossFit 7 weeks ago and I've adopted the paleo lifestyle. Ive always exercised, weights, cardio, globo gym but I'm pretty much a bambi when it comes to this level of training. Currently I'm 26 6ft 179# and I'm mainly trying to become more fit, stronger overall and shed some body fat(currently around 13%). So far in the last 7 weeks I've gone from 188-179 but weight loss isnt my goal. My body fat is noticably lower, not where I'd like it yet, but I kinda feel skinny and like I've lost some muscle. My strength has fluctuated but overall its gone up. Is this part of the process or do I need to eat more?

Dinner: 4-6oz chicken, turkey, beef, half an avocado and a bowl of spinach or other leafy green.

So thats a typical day for me substitute some things here and there. I haven't counted calories or weighed my food out. Should I look into that? Any recommendations you guys could give a newbie as far as my typical diet goes? I know this seems kinda all over the place, too many questions keep popping up in my head! haha
yes, you need to eat more. what you are eating is about enough for a small woman or man half your size looking to lose weight. at your height / weight you need to gain at least 20lbs. what to eat? more!

here are two things you might find very helpful... both WFS....

http://talktomejohnnie.com/diet/what...u-training-for

http://www.crossfitfootball.com/page...page=nutrition
Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyan Adams View Post

Breakfast: Make it 4 whole eggs. 4 uncured bacon strips. No fruit. No carbs, actually.
Lunch: 4-8oz turkey, half or whole avocado, yea the sweet potato is good. Or you could still wait and eat some leafy greens, veggies, and low glycemic load fruits like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, watermelon, etc.
Snack: Cashews or almonds if they're raw...if they're roasted and salted I'd honestly say ditch them. But keep this in mind, a decent handful of walnuts once per day for 1 week will amount to 270 GRAMS of Omega-6 (n-6) fats. It would take 17 pounds of wild caught salmon in Omega-3's to make that a 1:1 ratio. The paleo community goes a little crazy with the nuts...so I wouldn't make it an every day thing in anything more than a really small amount. Apple is good.

Post WOD: protein shake and from here on out load up on carbs.
Dinner: Same thing but...more carbs.