CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Chris Ranucci

Profile:
Proposed supplement plan

Currently I am taking BCAAs during my workout (drinking on the way to the box and throughout my WOD). I am also taking Creatine in my post workout protein shake (whey with flaxseed and a spoon of peanut butter).

I feel stronger on the BCAAs but attribute that to a placebo effect. I am taking Chain'd Out Appletini flavor and it is nasty tasting stuff.

My questions are, for the money I am investing here, are these supplements appropriate? Would anyone recommend dropping the BCAAs or Creatine for something else? I don't want to take 5 different supplements. I understand that everyone's body is different. What works for you?

My goals are to loose body fat and gain muscle. I am 6'1" and 205 lbs.

Also, if BCAAs are the way to go, can I get a recommendation for a brand that is easier to choke down?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: Proposed supplement plan

I'd keep both the BCAAs and Creatine in there. I'd say they're definitely worth it. BCAAs are great for the recovery and soreness the days following your workout.

As for making it easier to choke down. I don't know if you just have plain BCAAs or what, but what I do is mix them about 45mins to an hour before my workout so they'll actually dissolve instead of clumping. I also mix it with powdered Gatorade and it tastes fine after that. The trick really is getting it to dissolve ahead of time. Just my two cents
Old 08-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Chris Ranucci

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
I'd keep both the BCAAs and Creatine in there. I'd say they're definitely worth it. BCAAs are great for the recovery and soreness the days following your workout.

As for making it easier to choke down. I don't know if you just have plain BCAAs or what, but what I do is mix them about 45mins to an hour before my workout so they'll actually dissolve instead of clumping. I also mix it with powdered Gatorade and it tastes fine after that. The trick really is getting it to dissolve ahead of time. Just my two cents
I am taking Chain'd Out BCAAs. Appletini flavor is all that they had. Maybe grape would be better?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ranucci View Post
I am taking Chain'd Out BCAAs. Appletini flavor is all that they had. Maybe grape would be better?
I dunno, I just get a huge thing of plain BCAAs from www.nutrabulk.com (WFS) and get a big thing of powdered Gatorade from Costco and mix them together and it tastes fine one everything dissolves.

I've never had Chain'd Out BCAAs, but I have tried At Large Nutrition's BCAA+ and that stuff tastes pretty good to me. I'd recommend them if you're dead set on a pre-flavored BCAA mix. Plus Chris Mason's a really great dude and a regular forum contributor. Been buying the Nitrean protein they make for years (No I am not associated/affiliated with the company in any way, just a loyal fan).
Old 08-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Doug Molina

Profile:

Quote:
Currently I am taking BCAAs during my workout (drinking on the way to the box and throughout my WOD). I am also taking Creatine in my post workout protein shake (whey with flaxseed and a spoon of peanut butter).

I feel stronger on the BCAAs but attribute that to a placebo effect. I am taking Chain'd Out Appletini flavor and it is nasty tasting stuff.

My questions are, for the money I am investing here, are these supplements appropriate? Would anyone recommend dropping the BCAAs or Creatine for something else? I don't want to take 5 different supplements. I understand that everyone's body is different. What works for you?

My goals are to loose body fat and gain muscle. I am 6'1" and 205 lbs.

Also, if BCAAs are the way to go, can I get a recommendation for a brand that is easier to choke down?
You want some carbs post workout as well. I'd drop the flax and peanut butter and add some dextrose or maltodextrin to your whey.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I've tried three or four brands of BCAAs, and the fruit punch flavored BCAA+ by AtLargeNutrition is by far the best tasting and easiest mixing one I've used.

I wouldn't recommend dropping creatine or BCAAs....given your goals (or just about any goals, actually) they're probably the two most useful supplements you could be taking.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Jason Gavino

Profile:

Scivation Xtend makes some tasty BCAA's and they are cheaper than AtLarge's. I recommend the Lemon Lime Sour or Watermelon flavor. I agree that BCAA's and creatine are two of the best supplements that you can take. You may also want to try Beta Alanine.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Andrew Bell

Profile:

My current daily supps = 10g BCAA Pills (5gx2), 4g's Fish Oil (1.7 3 times a day), Multi x2.

I don't count protein, but I have taken ON ProComplex for about 5-6 years. I mix it into a protein enriched 2% chocolate milk (sold in the local grocery store) and it is literally like a milk shake. It is so good. It says to use 2 scoops, but I generally only use 1 scoop at a time, usually once a day. This powder has BCAA's already mixed into by the way. So I get a little extra.

Last edited by Andrew Bell : 08-07-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
BCAAs: you get all you need from food, don't waste your money.

Creatine monohydrate: around 30% of users experience no improvement in performance when taking creatine, so if you've tried it and didn't feel that it made any difference you're probably wasting your money.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
Graeme Moore

Profile:

You're wasting your money and effort on any of those. Just train consistently and effectively, eat lots of real food and water, get plenty of sleep and you'll be fine. Maybe take a daily multivitamin if this advice gives you a cold sweat.