CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Steven Mooso

Profile:
Question on crossfit box etiquette

I've noticed a few people at my box that while performing certain movements, such as pushups, do not perform the movement correctly. They are trying to get a faster time by lessening the movement. For instance, just breaking the elbows and calling that a push up...and keeping legs straight while bowing their back while doing pushups....

These people have been cross fitting longer than I have so I'm not sure what i should do/say, if anything....I have been cross fitting for about 4months now and try to perform the best form that I can during each wod, no matter what the time I get...I feel, that if your not going to do it correctly, why bother...Just scale it so u can do it correctly is my thinking...

Am I right or wrong? I almost called someone out during a wod but decided to bite my tongue, not knowing what might occur. Wasn't sure what would have been said by the person performing the wod or the coach watching....My dilemma !!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Martin Huynh

Profile:
Re: Question on crossfit box etiquette

I workout to better myself. If others want to take the easy route, that's their prerogative. It's the coaches job to call out and correct bad form.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
James Hanley

Profile:

Unless your t-shirt says "coach" on it, concentrate on what you're doing.

If it really bothers you:
1) mention it to the coach and see what they say
2) stop trying to win at exercise
Old 07-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Mike.Phillips

Profile:

If they are doing something extremely dangerous, yes take a moment and assist them.

Something like horribly rounding their back during deadlifts, or coming down on the balls of their feet during thrusters (with their heels off the ground), or something else that you think might cause an injury, definitely step in and help.

When in doubt, bring it up to the trainer who is running the session. If it's someone who is new, definitely politely give them a quick tip to make sure they are getting it right.

Personally, I appreciate it when someone takes the time to mention something to me about my form or technique, but other people might not be so humble.

I wouldn't spend an hour scolding them on their form, but a quick tip might help them, for instance -

"Drop your butt lower on the wallballs...."
"Look up when you're doing your deadlifts"
"Get a full stroke on your row, and slow down your recovery on your rowing..."

If you see someone else assisting them, don't butt into their conversation. But if you see someone alone in the corner, struggling with bad form, tell them "Let me help ya out really quick". Most people would appreciate the help if it's sincere, I know I did when I started
Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Mike Wazowski

Profile:

Meh, just mind your own business.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

If it's someone who knows what they're doing form-wise and is just cheating the movement, let it go; i.e. mind your own business.

If it's someone who doesn't know better, gently either (a) offer a few tips, and then butt out, or (b) covertly catch the attention of a coach and point out the person needing form help.

But, yeah, you're there for you, not for the others in the class. Nothing that anyone else does form-wise is going to affect your workout. So, if the root of this issue is that you're getting beaten by these people in the workouts, then I totally agree with James's comment of "stop trying to win at exercise."

- Mark
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hanley View Post
Unless your t-shirt says "coach" on it, concentrate on what you're doing.
This.

On the other hand, if the guy who *does* have the shirt that says "coach" on it isn't fixing egregious form errors, you might want to think about whether this box is the best place for you.

Katherine
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
Steven Mooso

Profile:

I'm not trying to win at any exercise, yet. But don't we all have a competitive side to us that wants to get a better time than the person next to us?!? But when it comes to basically not doing what the prescribed movement is just to get a better time, to me is worthless to that person. They are basically defeating the purpose for themselves...Not gaining anything...

I know we are not in a competition but at least try to make it proper full range of motion is all I'm saying....
Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mooso View Post
I'm not trying to win at any exercise, yet. But don't we all have a competitive side to us that wants to get a better time than the person next to us?!?
Yep, but Crossfit is a workout program, not a competition. Unless it's an organized Crossfit competition (e.g. The Games) of course.

Quote:
But when it comes to basically not doing what the prescribed movement is just to get a better time, to me is worthless to that person. They are basically defeating the purpose for themselves...Not gaining anything...
And that's none of your business. You are not there to ensure that others get value out of the workouts. You are there for only one person -- you.

Quote:
I know we are not in a competition but at least try to make it proper full range of motion is all I'm saying....
Also none of your business, unless (as others have said) you are a coach there.

- Mark
Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Incidentally, another view of this that you could take is that -- if there ever is a competition between you and those others -- their success may be limited by the fact that they don't train at full ROM. This could give you an edge, so it would be competitively foolish of you to point it out. All the more reason to just mind your own business and train.

- Mark