CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Is this normal? Here's my CFT numbers (weight in POUNDS):

Bodyweight 165 (160-165ish normally, 165 today)

March 20
DL - 220
BS - 180
SP - 80
Total - 480

There, in March, there's not TOO huge a difference between the shoulder press and the back squat/deadlift. But check this out:

Today (June 2nd)
DL - 275
BS - 255
SP - 95
Total - 625

Now there's a friggin' HUGE difference between them. And the SP I *know* I reached failure on, I tried the failure weight three times and it was just barely too much. The other two I was sticking on two 5's at a time and just going "ok, next..." and eventually hit failure and didn't want to go back 2 1/2's on each side...

But on the other hand, since my sport doesn't require upper body strength, I'm really not too worried about it. Plus, that's a pretty stinkin' good increase (145 lbs total), so I'm happy, but I don't know if I'm just WAY off with my upper body?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Oh, and the friggin' hook grip hurts.

But it works...
Old 06-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
Mike Gray

Profile:
Hey there, Matt!

We have a lot in common!

(Just parenthetically, the guys have also pointed out to me that we're only allowed 3 official tries on the CFT. You probabaly actually know how to read and have done everything just fine, but my CFT numbers below aren't quite clean. Anyway ... )

I'm kind of guessing that you started CF back in March - just like I did! I'm a 6' / 172 guy, so we've got fairly similar weight, too - and have some similar numbers. My March 17 CFT numbers were

275 BS (total cheat, though**!!)
275 DL
90 SP

**My BS there was no where near parallel. I don't know what I could have done to below parallel, but it would have been a whole lot less!

This week was this:

275 BS (regulation depth)
350 DL
105 SP

I'd say that you and I have both seen some fairly comparable progress from where we started. And when I check out Riptoe's strength standards, we both have some good and some bad news. Here's a link for a breakdown of each exercise:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

The good news is that we're doing quite nicely on DL and BSs:

For example, my BS and DL numbers are both in the intermediate range, with my latest DL even edging up towards advanced. (My weight is a nuisance to calculate since I'm right between the 165 and 181 categories.) You already have intermediate bagged on the BS and you're close on DL - bet you get it next CFT.

The BAD news is that we're both behind the curve in upper body strength. My SP is just barely novice - and yup - you still need another 7#! (And yeah - I now that my SP was my max too.)

I'm wondering: what's your sport? I play flag football (speed guy, real good acceleration) and I've been biking actively for about 15 years. While neither sport is going to be testing my bench, it's also true that more upper body stability and explosiveness will be helpful in my flag football gig. The whole body works together!

And besides, I mean, don't we all kinda of secretly think it would be nice to have just a *little bit* of pectitude, even if we're well-adjusted growups who think that kind of stuff is beneath them?

Two things people in the forum have recommended re: presses is (1) greasing the groove with pushups and (2) adding some extra press work now and again. I've decided to start following that advice as soon as flag football season is over - which is in six weeks.

I'll look forward to hearing how you get along!

P.S. Yup. Those DLs are murder on my thumb.

(Message edited by mikesusangray on June 03, 2007)
Old 06-03-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
If you are worried about your shoulder strength you should add handstand pushups to your daily warmups!
Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Thanks Mike, yeah it sounds like we're in the same boat.

As for me, I'm a short track speed skater, so upper body is of low importance to my sport (but still important to have a not-incredibly-off-balance body). The only time I use my upper body is the arm swing, but it requires more endurance than anything (nobody's arms get tired out there, it's the legs that go first when you're pulling 6g's in a corner on ice). The only other time I might use the upper body is in the relay to push the other guy, and also in races, if another guy gets in my way or there's contact, I can more easily absorb the impact with my hands/arms if I'm stronger in the upper body.

Craig, I used to do HSPU every day (although I still can't get a full range of motion). I would usually put down like 4 VHS tapes under my head and pop off 3 sets of 10 or so. As soon as I went down to 3 VHS tapes though, I'd hit the tapes and not be able to push back up. Not to mention they're all against a wall, so I'm not even really fully balancing myself.

But I do like the idea of grease the groove with pushups. Maybe I'll do that and alternate it on days with HSPU's. I also need to increase pullup strength, but that's another story...
Old 06-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
David Aguasca

Profile:
if you think THAT'S bad, you should see my stats.

BS (from 6 months ago) 2RM: 160lbs
DL (from 8 months ago) 1RM: 210lbs
SP (from 2 months ago) 1RM: 110lbs

i've been doing squats in sets of 5, 2x a week for the past 2 months, and before that just random strength work, so i think (read: hope) the numbers on the lower body lifts are higher now.