CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Mark D Barry

Profile:
Why is animal protein better for muscle gain

I'm sure this question has been asked a few times, but I couldn't find it specifically while searching. I remember seeing a CF video awhile back where the presenter said that people who get their protein from dairy/cheese, nuts, soy and grains mainly will have a tougher time gaining muscle than those who eat red meat.

What's the reason for this? Is it simply quantity ie you can't get as much protein due to carbohydrates and fat in the above foods? If there is a more physiological/chemical explanation I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Why is animal protein better for muscle gain

i'm sure there are some with more scientific answers, but i can tell you the short answer is because of amino-acid profile and bio-availability. just because something says "protien" doesn't mean it's made up of the same amount / ratio's of amino acids, nor does it mean the body has the ability to break down and utilize the protein. eggs and meat have a very high bio-availability compared to plant protein, and a far superior amino acid profile. just like there are different types of carbs and fat, there are different types of protein. some are good, others are less good, and some are downright bad.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Alan Siebuhr

Profile:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's because animal protein is a complete protein, meaning that it contains all nine essential amino acids.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

I don't know much about the topic, but I know that bioavailability will vary from individual to individual. My body does not digest meat or diary correctly, and I personally feel better off with vegetarian protein sources. I tried eating meat for several months and my gains stopped during that time.

Other people digest meat well and prefer it for many reasons (mostly taste). I'm sure they are absorbing a great deal of protein, too.

All I know is that peanut butter, quinoa, and eggs make me feel awesome.

Better/worse is going to be a very personal issue depending on the body.

-sheldon
Old 08-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Donald Lee

Profile:

Look at the table in this article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...ing-it-up.html (WFS)

Red meat also contains creatine.

The protein content of milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey, so it's pretty good for muscle building.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D Barry View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked a few times, but I couldn't find it specifically while searching. I remember seeing a CF video awhile back where the presenter said that people who get their protein from dairy/cheese, nuts, soy and grains mainly will have a tougher time gaining muscle than those who eat red meat.

What's the reason for this? Is it simply quantity ie you can't get as much protein due to carbohydrates and fat in the above foods? If there is a more physiological/chemical explanation I'd appreciate it.
Humans have no difficulty utilising indispensable amino acids (IAA) from plants and because all plants contain all IAA protein requirements can be met on a vegetarian or vegan diet providing a variety of foods are eaten and energy requirements are met. It's this second point, meeting energy requirements, that's a potential problem for vegetarian/vegan athletes who are trying to gain weight but that's due to the low energy content of plant based diets not a lack of available protein or the lower biological value of plant protein.

Position of the American Dietetic Association: Vegetarian Diets.

Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance.

veganhealth.org - Vegan Weightlifting: What Does the Science Say?

Effect of protein source on resistive-training-induced changes in body composition and muscle size in older men.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 08-12-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

Great post, Darryl. I find that I am hungry more frequently on a vegetarian or vegan diet. But, the food sources are also lower calorie. I practically have to eat continuously.

-sheldon
Old 08-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
Kyle Borowsky

Profile:

that sounds false. there are many sources of complete proteins which are not animals based. most sprouts contain all of the essential amino accids and are easier for your body to diggest than meat. It is important to get your nutrition from more than one source. meat is important but it needs to be balanced with other foods
Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Brett Dartt

Profile:

because it tastes better
Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

As far as protein sources go here is the ranking:
1) eggs
2) meat
3) milk
4) plants

The problem is that much of the protein in plants is encased in fiber and not absorbed by our bodies. This along with the different ratios of protein make it less than ideal, totally useable, just not ideal as the primary protein source. If you supplement with eggs and some dairy though you can certainly go without meat reasonably well though.