CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Yuji Inagaki

Profile:
Help Me Surpass The Fat Loss Plateau!

Greetings! This is my first post on the CF messageboard, though I've been visiting this site for several months now checking out the WODs and the discussions that go on here.

I've conducted countless researches about routines, diet, fasting, cardio, HIT, lifting, supplements, etc. I think I've attempted many suggestions out there to get where I currently am, the best shape of my life. Yet, I still strive for better results! And, I believe I have hit the ever-so-talked-about: fat loss plateau.

- I am currently 5'6", 150 to 155 pounds (literally changes daily), a week until 26 yrs. old (happy birthday meeeee!).
- I workout 5 to 6 days a week, letting Sunday be my rest day.
- I workout after work, around 6pm, constantly mixing up workouts with heavy lifting, moderate weight lifting with more reps and intensity to be in more of an HIT state, bodyweight lifting, consistent cardio with moderate jogging (sometimes adding few sessions of intermittent sprints at the end), and recently I decided to combine both (lift first, then cardio). My strength workouts/lifts consist mostly total body workouts with semi-kipping pull-ups, thrusters, deadlifts, bench press, bicep curls, kettle bell swings, burpees/push-ups combo, squats, machine flies. I try to do WODs if I know I can complete it regardless of time. If I have doubts, I usually just practice the lifts/workouts incorporated in the WOD (i.e., instead of attempting Fran, I will just work on doing thrusters correctly, and then pull-ups correctly). When I go jogging it's usually around 25min to 30min 2.5 to 3 miles.
- My diet, I haven't ate anything fried since February. I always try to eat chicken/turkey/tuna everyday. I mix up my diet sometimes eating carbs, and sometimes not much (I try to always eat whole wheat, sometimes white carbs may slip in). Veggies are also kind of intermittent. I drink lots of black coffee during work (it's a habit... like 6 cups of coffee a day...), and I drink water when I'm home. I rarely drink soda, but if I do, it's coke zero (and nothing else). I would say once every 2 weeks a coke zero may slip into my system. Oh, and I take One-A-Day every morning. Kind of gives a bit of a energy boost to get out of the bed.
- My sleeping prob could use improvement, and this might be what is causing the plateau, but if you guys can confirm that would be awesome. On weekdays I get around 6 hours of sleep average, sometimes 7. On weekends I literally become Mr. Lazy and sleep like 10, almost 12 hours.
- Oh, and also during weekdays I play rec sports, and I still workout on those days (I'll lift, and then go play softball).

As for my body composition to understand where I'm at, bit of a spare tire I'd say, not much visceral fat as my stomach does not stick out farther than my chest, tho my stomach (especially lower end) looks soft, tho at certain flexing and angle (hehe) you can see a bit of upper abs that is DYING to be exposed more! Little bit of flab pudge where you can see a dividing line in between stomach fat and pelvis.

ANY suggestion/recommendation would be very helpful and insightful. Thanks guys and girls!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Seth Leaman

Profile:
Re: Help Me Surpass The Fat Loss Plateau!

How many calories do you eat in average day? Fat-loss will come down to diet. You most likely need to decrease calories, but I can;t say with certainty without knowing what your daily diet looks like calorie and macro-wise
Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Yuji Inagaki

Profile:

Hey Seth, thanks for replying!

I actually don't eat that much, literally. I don't eat breakfast because I just can't (I feel really uncomfortable if I have food in the morning). My lunch consists of chicken/tuna salad usually (from our cafeteria), or a chicken wrap, averaging around 450 to 600 calories. Then for dinner I only eat diced grilled chicken with either lemon juice or tabasco sauce for taste, and that's about 400 calories.

Come to think of it, maybe my calories are so low that my natural metabolic rate is just low too?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
James Chu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuji Inagaki View Post
Hey Seth, thanks for replying!

I actually don't eat that much, literally. I don't eat breakfast because I just can't (I feel really uncomfortable if I have food in the morning). My lunch consists of chicken/tuna salad usually (from our cafeteria), or a chicken wrap, averaging around 450 to 600 calories. Then for dinner I only eat diced grilled chicken with either lemon juice or tabasco sauce for taste, and that's about 400 calories.

Come to think of it, maybe my calories are so low that my natural metabolic rate is just low too?
Eat more. 850-1000 calories a day isn't cutting it. Figure out your caloric output including exercise, eat about 4-500 calories less than that on a daily basis.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Yuji Inagaki

Profile:

Ah, very interesting.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Seth Leaman

Profile:

If that is really all you are eating then you definitely need to eat more. Slowly increase calories until you get to a normal level. It seems you killed your metabolism by eating so little. Add some carbs, or anything you enjoy to reach a more realistic caloric intake.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Yuji Inagaki

Profile:

Seth and James, appreciate your input!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

It's extremely unlikely that you're working out six days a week, plus sports on the weekends, and eating less than 1000 calories a day. That's barely adequate for a small, sedentary, female. With your workload, you'd have trouble getting out of bed after a few days of that, and you'd almost certainly be losing weight.

So the first step is to keep a food log for a few days, including a weekend, in which you record *everything* that goes in your mouth.

I'd also suggest cutting your coffee consumption or switching to decaf. That much caffeine is more than enough to stress out your metabolism... Leading to fat storage.

Katherine
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Yuji Inagaki

Profile:

Hmmm... Could you explain to me how caffeine stresses out metabolism? I always heard caffeine is good to "fire up" the body. I must relinquish this thought if it's more harm than good.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

A lot of caffeine=stress and jittery feelings=adrenal and cortisol problems