CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Rory Hand

Profile:
Newbie Clean Video-- Feedback appreciated

Good Day All...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnLQTjpYGA

New to o-lifting. 6'4'' 225. This is Set 5 of 1 Rep practice with 225#.

I'm trying to learn proper clean form, but I have an apparent mental break when it comes to actually bending my freakin' knees. Any cues, hints, or tips would be appreciated. As you can see, it's pretty bad.

Many thanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:
Re: Newbie Clean Video-- Feedback appreciated

I'm no trainer, so I'll leave all the super technical stuff to the experts around here. But the basic things that I notice...

1) Arms bending too early at the elbow while in the 2nd pull. May be attributed to...
2) Seeming lack of explosion through the lowerbody/hips to accelerate the bar upward.
3) Rack position, elbows need to come forward more. Can't tell from the angle, but I'm willing to be that you aren't resting the bar on your deltoids.
4) If I can see you leaning so far backwards from the angle of the video...it's probably too much.

New to the lifts, reduce load until you get the movements down. No reason to promote self-injury, ya know?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Jonny Blaylock

Profile:

First let me say that if this sounds harsh it's only because you literally asked for it.

You lifted with your back and arms. You should be lifting with your legs and then dropping your body under the weight.

It did not look like your feet left the ground at all. As the previous poster said, it should be an explosive movement.
You thrusted your pelvis forward, when you should have kept a straight back and solid, tensed core. You could have hurt yourself badly.

You really should not be using your arms to lift, but simply to hold on to the weight and tow it up with the momentum of your body. Explode up, holding the weight in tow, when you reach your apex (the highest point of your upward bodily rocketship explosion), drop (bend knees, retracting legs and feet up into a squat in the air) and let your body fall under the barbell while the barbell is still hanging in air. Of course, you are not a cartoon, so it won't hang long, and you won't actualy be pulling your legs up into a squat in the air. That's just the motion you should be trying to make. Your arms will rotate to get under the weight, but you are not lifting the wieght up with your arms.

The solution: lower the weight. I know it's tempting to try and post big numbers, but when you are an old man who can barely walk because of back problems you will not care who saw those big numbers.

It'd be much better to clean 100#s right than to do what you did with 225#.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Okay, so let's start over from the beginning. Watch this video a few times, and then start working through the progressions with an empty bar:

http://www.pendlay.com/Clean-progres...ies_df_55.html (WFS)