CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Stephen G Hubbard
Member Stephen G Hubbard is offline
 
Stephen G Hubbard's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 31
My Beef with the Crossfit Games

I love the Games and think that it is a very worthy thing to make a competition with the goal of finding the fitest person alive, but I have this one issue with it.

Glassman is always saying: "We have created a method for finding the fittest, maybe there is someone out there that is fitter but unless they show up, we'll never know."

and at the same time, the games seem to be getting more and more technical and skill based. Thats what all the top guys are saying: "I've really been working on technical stuff this year."

Seems like a contradiction. If there were non-crossfitters who were more fit than Holmberg and Cleaver they would never be able to show it at the games. I think it is theoretical possible to have a fitter person without good form in ring handstand pushups, double unders, pistols, muscle ups, and max snatches.


So what is to be done about it? Obviously all ways of measuring fitness have some skill component and the CF games are a great way to showcase some more *interesting* movements, but I am just worried about the validity of Glassman's claim as the games get more and more "CrossFit specific".

Thoughts?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
Craig Massey
Member Craig Massey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Papakura  Auckland
Posts: 323
Re: My Beef with the Crossfit Games

The "interesting movements" test aspects of fitness that the "head down and go like heck" movements don't. CrossFit is about more than just horsepower.

Your argument is less about the games and more about "what is fitness".
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Justin McGinley
Affiliate Justin McGinley is offline
 
Justin McGinley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cherry Hill  NJ
Posts: 3,047
Re: My Beef with the Crossfit Games

I wouldn't compete in the "World's Strongest Man" competition without first learning how to Clean & Press a log, shoulder heavy atlas stones, or walk with a heavy yoke on my back.
__________________
My Affiliate - CrossFit Aspire in Cherry Hill New Jersey
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: My Beef with the Crossfit Games

I think we should please just stop this conversation before it starts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Craig Massey
Member Craig Massey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Papakura  Auckland
Posts: 323
Re: My Beef with the Crossfit Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I think we should please just stop this conversation before it starts.
Why?
Making a kitten chase its tail is fun and at some stage in their journey to sedate catdom they tend to realise the futility of the exercise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: My Beef with the Crossfit Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Massey View Post
Why?
Making a kitten chase its tail is fun and at some stage in their journey to sedate catdom they tend to realise the futility of the exercise.
Fine .

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/12/...oe-outside.tpl (WFS)

That should keep you busy, Stephen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Thomas Green
Member Thomas Green is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 1,156
Re: My Beef with the Crossfit Games

To avoid the risk of getting banned, I'm keeping my mouth shut. I've already been too vocal on this lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Stephen G Hubbard
Member Stephen G Hubbard is offline
 
Stephen G Hubbard's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 31
Re: My Beef with the Crossfit Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Massey View Post
The "interesting movements" test aspects of fitness that the "head down and go like heck" movements don't. CrossFit is about more than just horsepower.

Speed, balance, accuracy, flexibility... yes these things are a big part of fitness. But can't you see how it could be unfair to include a VERY specific movement that only a few people have practiced?

To explain the point through exaggeration:
What if there was a games workout that included 30 TRIPLE-unders and planche pushups and those skill was never ever publicized on the main site? My guess is that Spealer would kill it but some wouldn't be able to finish 1 round. How about backflips?

What I am trying to say is that these "interesting movements" test more than fitness, they test CF-specific practice which ISN'T one of the ten physical skills.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: My Beef with the Crossfit Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
To avoid the risk of getting banned, I'm keeping my mouth shut. I've already been too vocal on this lol.
I have no idea what you're talking about. This topic can only result in well-thought out arguments and civil discussion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Craig Massey
Member Craig Massey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Papakura  Auckland
Posts: 323
Re: My Beef with the Crossfit Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen G Hubbard View Post
Speed, balance, accuracy, flexibility... yes these things are a big part of fitness. But can't you see how it could be unfair to include a VERY specific movement that only a few people have practiced?

To explain the point through exaggeration:
What if there was a games workout that included 30 TRIPLE-unders and planche pushups and those skill was never ever publicized on the main site? My guess is that Spealer would kill it but some wouldn't be able to finish 1 round. How about backflips?

What I am trying to say is that these "interesting movements" test more than fitness, they test CF-specific practice which ISN'T one of the ten physical skills.
Ah, we're talking hypothetically here.
Because this hasn't happened yet.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossfit Games '09 Dan Dumsick Stuff and Nonsense 2 04-10-2010 09:15 PM
CrossFit Games v's Regional/State Games? Scot Heyes Competitions 12 08-19-2009 05:32 AM
Video of Crossfit Diets done at the Crossfit Games Shaun Frankson Nutrition 10 07-29-2009 11:23 AM
2007 Crossfit games Crossfit total results Andy Wagner Community 6 12-04-2007 06:58 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.