CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Joe Go

Profile:
Question Strength training and CrossFit?

Hello guys , I have to say I'm hesitant to post this because I'm afraid something like this has been asked before, but I've read the FAQ and tried lurking a bit and nothing seems to be exactly what I'm talking about, so I'll just go ahead and ask, heh:

I'm 17 years old and I've been strength training for about a 2 months (and I've been training on and off since I was like.. 13 or so) and I rank advanced and elite on that Rippetoe chart as far as lifts go, I've been following no real plan, just a combination of exercises that have worked in the past, combined with some new knowledge from places like SS and Strength Training Anatomy, heck, even some Men's World book I borrowed from one of my friends.

Basically my goal has always been strength, but lately I've been doubting that goal, figuring that while its nice to have high bench marks, I also want strength that's usable.

But unfortunately, I've tried CrossFit for the last few WOD's and while I'm able to finish them (I was surprised, tbh), they are incredibly demanding of me - this of course means that I doubt I'll be getting my apropriate rest with both weight lifting and CrossFit going on?

So what do I do guys?, is there a way to combine both without each training form taking its toll on the other?

Again, I apologize if its been answered before and I thank you for reading this wall of text,

Thanks in advance
Old 05-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Strength training and CrossFit?

This and this (both WFS) should answer most of your questions.

You'll need to give us some of your numbers and some solid goals (more quantifiable than "strength that's usable") for us to be able to give you any kind of advice about what type of programming you could handle.

And yes, CF workouts are supposed to be demanding, even if you've been doing this for awhile.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Latham Fell

Profile:

CrossFit Strength Bias (CFSB) is probably what you are looking for. There is a Journal article, and an extensive discussion on the message board. The "standard" CFSB protocol uses primarily short, heavy metcons, but I have successfully combined the strength aspect with main page programming. Before doing the main page workout, I will set a PR on one lift (usually squat, deadlift or press, but sometimes O-lifts): either a 1RM, 3RM or 5RM PR. I will also set a 20RM PR for that lift. This takes about 10 minutes, and then I jump into the main page workout.

Two other programs have a substantial strength focus, and will also give you overall fitness:
Coach Rut's application of his MEBB program on his blog: http://coachrut.blogspot.com (W/FS)

The other is CrossFit Football
http://www.crossfitfootball.com (W/FS)
Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Cameron Patterson

Profile:

Joe,

Some great advice has been given here so far, Crossfit Strength Bias, MEBB, and Crossfit Football are great ways to go.

However, something else you may want to consider is strongman training. If your goal is just more "functional strength" then strongman may be the way to go. Check out guys like Robb Orlando, Zach Even-esh, and Elliot Hulse. One of the great things about strongman is that most of the equipment can be improvised or attained very cheaply, especially if you are training just for strength and you aren't worried about preparing for competition.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
John Jaeckel

Profile:

I would also look into Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program for periodized strength training that can be done in addition to/combined with CF MetCon training.