CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
Thomas Snyder

Profile:
New to CrossFit

A little background on me first, I'm 17 years old and used to wrestle and run crosscountry before I started hanging out with the wrong people and making bad decisions, etc. I'm looking to get back in shape and be fit again before joining the Army in January.

Anyways...
I've been following the WOD off and on for a few months now. Some of the lifts in the WODs however I'm not yet strong enough to do. Should I do some strength program (ex. SS) before starting CrossFit more frequently or should I just do the bodyweight ones for now until I am strong enough to perform the lifts as RX'ed?

All help and input is appreciated.

P.S. I'm 5'10" and weigh in at 128 lbs.

Last edited by Thomas Snyder : 04-10-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Diego Sommariva

Profile:
Re: New to CrossFit

Welcome Thomas.
Don't worry about not being to do the WODs as RX'd. Those weights are for elite athletes. Many here, including myself, scale the weights to our level of strength / fitness. Try and post some of your lift numbers so we can determine if maybe you're better off doing a strength program for a bit or not.

Good luck!

Diego
Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Thomas Snyder

Profile:

Thanks Diego. Do you recommend the BrandX scaled workouts then? Also would those bring up my strength enough to one day (hopefully sooner than later) be able to do the WODs as RX'ed?

Bench - 115# 1RM
BSquat - 120# 1RM
DL - 130# 1RM
Mil Press - 80# 1RM
Bent Over Row - 75# 1RM

I can record other lifts as well if needed.

Again, thank you.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Those strength numbers are at a point that they'll increase as a result of pretty much any type of training you do. My main concern in your case is the fact that you're only 128lbs at 5'10". I'm a Marine myself, and I've carried loads approaching your bodyweight on plenty of hikes--if you're looking to join the Army you'll want to be a little more prepared for the first time you find yourself loaded down with 80 or 90lbs for a hike.

Do BrandX scaled workouts for now but your main concern should be gaining about 50lbs as soon as possible, and adding some strength along with it. Start eating til it hurts 4 or 5 times per day...lots of meat, eggs, whole milk, and add olive oil and coconut milk into your diet wherever you can.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #5
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

Thomas, Eric is correct in stating you will gain strength by doing the WODs, even if you were already stronger, that's the marvel of the program. The BrandX scaled workouts will let you know whereabouts you are with respect to your goals, and if in a few weeks / months you haven't gained as much strength as you'd have liked you can do SS to gain some more. You really do need to put on some weight and if it's in the form of muscle all the better. How is your cardio? Do you find you have a lot more resistance than strength? Or are they about the same?

The sooner you start working the better

Good luck!

Diego
Old 04-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Those strength numbers are at a point that they'll increase as a result of pretty much any type of training you do. My main concern in your case is the fact that you're only 128lbs at 5'10". I'm a Marine myself, and I've carried loads approaching your bodyweight on plenty of hikes--if you're looking to join the Army you'll want to be a little more prepared for the first time you find yourself loaded down with 80 or 90lbs for a hike.

Do BrandX scaled workouts for now but your main concern should be gaining about 50lbs as soon as possible, and adding some strength along with it. Start eating til it hurts 4 or 5 times per day...lots of meat, eggs, whole milk, and add olive oil and coconut milk into your diet wherever you can.
Yeah, this.

Eat. A lot.

Then, you'll see some serious strength increases from scaled WODs.

Have fun.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Thomas Snyder

Profile:

Diego, my cardio is far better than my strength is. Which is why I wasn't too concerned with it. My muscular endurance on the other hand has some room for improvement. It will get better though after some WODs.

Eric, I know I do and will start eating a lot more. Should I be concerned about gaining fat along with those 50 lbs? (I want a good 10% bf before going off to bootcamp, not much more than that however). I doubt I will if I'm being active with CrossFit and all but I'm just wondering.

Thanks Tamara.

Also any recommendations as to what to do along with the WODs? Like on the days it's "DL 1-1-1-1-1-1-1" or something similar, should I run or something as well?

Old 04-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Snyder View Post
Should I be concerned about gaining fat along with those 50 lbs? (I want a good 10% bf before going off to bootcamp, not much more than that however). I doubt I will if I'm being active with CrossFit and all but I'm just wondering.

Thanks Tamara.

Also any recommendations as to what to do along with the WODs? Like on the days it's "DL 1-1-1-1-1-1-1" or something similar, should I run or something as well?

Dude, just eat. You want to go into the Army. I'm a skinny female who outweighs you by 7 lbs and can outlift you. I don't say that to be mean...I say it because you need to be a lot bigger and stronger. Eat. For real. Do not worry about fat. It's not possible to put on 50 lbs of solid muscle without gaining fat. You'll be okay, though.

You are pretty new to this. If you are scaling the WODs appropriately, they should still whup your butt enough that you won't want to do much else. But, you might want to do some extra strength work before the WODs. Some of the military guys might have better advice on specifics to work on. How are your bodyweight exercises like pushups, pullups, situps and ring dips?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

On ME (Maximum Effort) days it might seem like not much but the effects internally and to the CNS are far superior to what you might think, and adding other stuff might interfere with your recovery. Remember, you get stronger on rest days, not during the exercising.
If you are just easing into the WODs at the moment pace yourself for the first couple of weeks, then start adding stuff. You should be doing a warm up and the WOD right now. Then you can add a Buy In after the Warm Up like strength work or skill work, and then even further down the line a Cash Out which basically consists of skill work. Be very wary of over training. Listen to your body and if you feel you need an extra rest day take it.

Good luck!

Diego
Old 04-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Sommariva View Post
Listen to your body and if you feel you need an extra rest day take it.
In other words, do as I say and not as I do?