CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Curtis Caldwell

Profile:
No Money...No Gym...WODs?

I'm just out of college spending all I can make without a career on paying bills and banks/people/parents I owe money to. I still want to keep in the best shape as I can. I was introduced to this program through family, but I can no longer keep a personal trainer and my gym membership is going to go next if things don't start looking up. I know there are a few workouts that have little or no equipment (Crossfit Baseball) and since the weather is starting to get warmer here, I figure I should take advantage of that while I can and not spend it in a gym. Maybe I can afford to go to the gym when the weather starts turning cold again. Any suggestions, or variations of WODs that I could do to keep myself active and fit?
Thanks
~CurtisC.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: No Money...No Gym...WODs?

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739 (WFS)
Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

Jeremy's link is awesome, definitely check it out.
Otherwise, I'm sure you can find pullup bars. Try doing gymnastics routines and exercises.
For example, try to work in handstands, tucks, planches, elbow levers, front levers, back levers, etc etc into your workouts. Works on rings, bars, and tree branches.
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229
(WFS)
this article is wonderful, the stuff on it are harder than they look. cheers to coach sommer
Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Stuart Littlefield

Profile:

You can do L-Sits and L-Sit knee bends between two chairs. Good way to develop world class ab development. Pistols, pull-ups, handstand push-ups shouldn't be an issue either.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

+1 to the above. You can get a pretty wicked workout in by just being resourceful. My personal favorite movements being pistols, burpees, and handstand holds/pushups.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Here are some ideas:

1. Buy the book Never Gymless WFS. It outlines how to improve both strength and conditioning with no equipment, including a sample program.

If you decide you need something heavy to life:

2. You can find standard sized weights all the time on Craigslist for less than $0.50 per pound. Then buy an 18" piece of 3/4" pipe and four hose clamps and make your own dumbbell handle, all for about $12. Or make two if you have the money to buy enough weight.

3. A cheaper option is a sandbag. You can make a sandbag with a duffel bag and wood pellets (or whatever filler you prefer) for under $20.

4. Cheaper still, find some nicely shaped heavy rocks for free and lift those. I prefer a sandbag though since you don't have to worry about dropping it on your head.

You will be amazed at how much progress you can make with no equipment.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
Here are some ideas:

1. Buy the book Never Gymless WFS. It outlines how to improve both strength and conditioning with no equipment, including a sample program.

If you decide you need something heavy to life:

2. You can find standard sized weights all the time on Craigslist for less than $0.50 per pound. Then buy an 18" piece of 3/4" pipe and four hose clamps and make your own dumbbell handle, all for about $12. Or make two if you have the money to buy enough weight.

3. A cheaper option is a sandbag. You can make a sandbag with a duffel bag and wood pellets (or whatever filler you prefer) for under $20.

4. Cheaper still, find some nicely shaped heavy rocks for free and lift those. I prefer a sandbag though since you don't have to worry about dropping it on your head.

You will be amazed at how much progress you can make with no equipment.

+1 to all of that.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

No Money...No Gym...WODs? Me too

I use sand bags. Just find a good park with pullup/dip bars and lift sand bags. You might even be able to hide the bag in some bushes and cover with a tarp.

WFS
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=54779
Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
Peter Gering

Profile:

Thank you very much for this. MY membership at Crossfit Milwaukee has expired and I do not have the money to renew it. My main problem is endurance in anything. I mean Iím 315pounds, at this weight everything can be a struggle. Half the time the warm ups were enough of a workout for me. Bear crawls would destroy my shoulders, in a good way of course but that would leave my arms fatigued for the WOD. My goal right now is to do what I can at home and keep at the Paleo diet which Iíve been doing fairly strictly for over a month now. I think with some of these metcons are just what I need for that kick in the *** towards my 300 goal. I canít begin to imagine how much easier burpees will be at 300 or even 275 pounds and squats will be that much easier. The more progress I make the more motivated I get. Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Jacob Woldstad

Profile:

Everybody loves sandbags. At the hardware store, for about $5 you can pick up one of those 60# tubes of sand for weighting down vehicles in the winter. And the plastic canvas is fairly strong.

I spent another $5 on an extra bag of sand, $3 on a cheap playground ball and used up then end of a roll of duct tape to make a med ball. I cut a 2-inch slit to pour in the sand and wound up with a ball that weighs 20.5 pounds. Beware, the duct tape gets slick when wet.