CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Matthew Gray

Profile:
Can't wait to get started!! How does my plan look?

First a little history here: Once upon a time I was a nice, lean(though far too skinny ) younger, martial artist, I practiced for about 8 years. I quit about 6 years ago, and since then my physical fitness has gone down dramatically(I am 5'7, I was at 210 pounds, and I was around 21% body fat at my highest!). Then last year, I had a relationship end TERRIBLY, and the (ever so charming) gal ended up throwing my not so fantastic physique in my face.

I really should thank her I suppose, because it was the kick in the *** I needed.This year I decided enough was enough, and busted my ***. I dropped down to single digit body fat, and retained most of my muscle, however, I soon saw that I was the most unbalanced looking person ever, and I looked great on certain parts of my body, and like a holocaust victim in others(no matter how rocking your 8-pack abs may look, its kinda defeated if you have a completely emanciated chest, plus big arms and shoulders made me look so damn weird)!

So I decided it was time to hit the weights, which leads us to where we are now. I feel I still have a month or two left of my lifting program, but I am doing great, back to my old weight(almost) at 11% body fat! A few areas could definitely use some work, but thats why I am still going for a while here.

Once I am done this I am planning on jumping right into crossfit, probably 3 times a week, and drop my weight lifting down to twice a week. Once I feel I have reached proper conditioning, I am going to jump right back into muay thai training, and cut the lifting even more. In about 4 months here is the schedule I am hoping for!!

Tell me anything you would change, or anything like that. I know I can sweat through it all too by the way, so don't worry about that.

Monday:
7:00 am - Crossfit WOD
6:30 - 8:15 pm - Muay Thai Technical

Tuesday:
6:30-7:30pm - muay thai conditioning

Wednesday:
7:00am - Crossfit WOD
6:30-8:15pm - Muay Thai Technical

Thursday:
6:30-7:30pm - muay thai conditioning

Friday:
Chill day haha
Saturday:
Resistance training (So I don't lose all my pretty mass too fast ;_
Sunday:
Chill day
Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Oliver Gould

Profile:
Re: Can't wait to get started!! How does my plan look?

Phase into it slowly, but looks fine. When you say Crossfit, you mean the circuit training part right? There's supposed to be ME days in CF too, they are random and scattered and don't achieve much beyond novice.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: Can't wait to get started!! How does my plan look?

you have a great story and thats great you are going to start crossfit!

i was wondering about the resistance training you are doing now? it kind of sounds like you are trying to bodybuild? if so you might want to check out a strength program like mark rippetoe's "starting strength". these kind of programs will actually better prepare you for crossfit then the traditional bodybuilding routines.

other then that your program looks pretty good. its a good idea to still include one day a week of lifting to maintain strength. you might also consider programs like CFSB (crossfit strength bias) or Crossfit Football to maintain strength.