CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Brian Kuczma

Profile:
Crossfit and Triathlons

I have been doing olympic distance tri's the past 3 years and have finished middle of the pack with times averaging around 2:20 to 2:30. I have recently switched from long slow, oxidative training to Crossfit. Should I be doing both WOD's from the main site and the endurance site or is there a recommended amount of workouts per week for each. Also, without having long bikes, runs, swims, or bricks will this prepare me for the next step of doing a half iron tri?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Justin Baum

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and Triathlons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kuczma View Post
I have been doing olympic distance tri's the past 3 years and have finished middle of the pack with times averaging around 2:20 to 2:30. I have recently switched from long slow, oxidative training to Crossfit. Should I be doing both WOD's from the main site and the endurance site or is there a recommended amount of workouts per week for each. Also, without having long bikes, runs, swims, or bricks will this prepare me for the next step of doing a half iron tri?

hi brian,

i believe most of the answers to your questions can be found on the crossfit endurance site. i came to cf from a triathlon background having done 4 ironmans in addition to many short course races. i don't believe that you can prepare for a 1/2 im or im on short and intense workouts alone. i don't check the cfe site too often but i've never seen anything over 60 minutes. inho that's not enough to prepare you for a 2.5hr bike portion of a 1/2im.
short and intense wkts certainly have their place but too excel in long course triathlon you need to put in the miles. just my opinion and i'm sure many koolaid drinkers will disagree.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Dennis Godfrey

Profile:

Quote:

I would for sure jump on the CFE site and ask your question in the comments or shoot bmac an email. I know the way he trains he believes you don't need as many miles to compete which is a disagreement from traditional training for such things, and hard for people that trained for similar events in the past to accept or even try because of the big difference.

good luck
Old 12-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Lisa Gallagher

Profile:

I have both a 1/2 IM and IM planned for this coming year and I would not venture to do either without my long runs/bikes and some bricks. I think the CF/CFE workouts are fantastic for training 4-6 days a week, but I still think you need at least 1-2 longer aerobic workouts a week. If for no other reasons than mental preparation... and your butt needs to get used to that saddle!

That said, I do check the CFE website daily and read all the materials and posts to see how the training is working for other people. The site is great and I think it will be interesting to see if their theories on training do become more mainstream with time. Since learning about CFE, Ive had the urge to head out to Newport Beach just to train with BMac and his crew for a few weeks! I think it would be awesome.

Good luck with your training. I know I cant wait to see how the CF & CFE workouts affect my performance in the upcoming tri season.

Last edited by Lisa Gallagher : 12-30-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Megan Gentry

Profile:

Hi endurance folk!

I came to CF from a marathon background and am now preparing for my first full marathon in 3 years.
The last race I ran was a half marathon in October, and I trained for it using CFE only, with my longest training runs only 10 miles. I also used CFE to train for the Blue Ridge Relay (think 3x 10K with some beastie hills). I recovered from both of these events much better than in my long-slow distance days. And I've made significant PRs during my training all the way up to the event itself. I feel better and I'm running faster than I did in my LSD days. Based on my past experience, I'm confident that CFE will deliver results even at the full marathon distance. So bottom's up for the kool-aid from me

I'd share my time for the half marathon, but I didn't have a great race day. Bad day with the Gu gels (trying to cut those out for the next race), and I've got to work on the POSE technique more to make sure it doesn't break down at those distances, my left knee will thank me. My conditioning felt great, but it doesn't matter how much gas you have in the tank if the wheels fall off

Anway, I'd say try it the CFE way for awhile and see if it works for you. If it gets you results, then why not just try it their way for your next race. You might not miss those long distances.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Justin Baum

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Gentry View Post
Hi endurance folk!

I came to CF from a marathon background and am now preparing for my first full marathon in 3 years.
The last race I ran was a half marathon in October, and I trained for it using CFE only, with my longest training runs only 10 miles. .
10 mile long run for a 1/2 marathon makes sense and is standard distance in most programs. for a marathon, it makes no sense whether it's done fast OR slow and i assure you the race will be a sufferfest.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Lisa Gallagher

Profile:

I have to agree. A marathon with only 10 mile runs sounds like a nightmare. I just ran one only having done 1 18 miler and it hurt like hell. Of course, I had some other mechanical issues that greatly contributed to my pain. That being said, I really could have benefited from some CFE workouts before that race as it was definitely not a PR.

Though I am by no means an expert, it seems to me a balanced training program combining strength, intensity and low intensity workouts would be the best of all worlds. Just my 2 cents.... but like i said earlier, I am going to keep following CFE to see how people do with it.

Let us know how the marathon goes. I am interested to see how your CFE training works out for you.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
Mike Prevost

Profile:

Quote:

The folks over at www.endurancenation.us are experimentign with reduced volume training for IM. This year they have shortened the long run to about 2 hours and the long bike to 4 hours. I talked with them and they are thinking about trimming it some more based on their success with less volume. HOWEVER, these are not LSD sessions at all! I trained with their system through April this year. A two hour run might have 20 minutes at 10K race pace and 2 X 20 min at half marathon race pace in it. That is a HARD session. There is a similar setup for the long bike. I can see trimming the long bike to 3 hours and long run to 1.5 hours if you put plenty of intensity in there. I would still recommend a couple of long race rehearsal sessions for IM (the Endurance Nation folks do as well), along the lines of 112 bike, 5 run, just to shake out your race set up. For half IM, you could get away with less volume, if you keep the intensity.

Mike
Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
Megan Gentry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Baum View Post
10 mile long run for a 1/2 marathon makes sense and is standard distance in most programs. for a marathon, it makes no sense whether it's done fast OR slow and i assure you the race will be a sufferfest.
I wouldn't say 10 mi is standard for a half marathon training program.
I did Hal Higdon's training programs in the past, and it had me running more than a half dozen 10mi+ runs, all the way up to 15 mi. That's a lot more miles than in CFE, with just 1 or 2 ten milers in the whole of my training.

And I wasn't saying 10 miles would be my longest distance for my full marathon program. 13.1 is the longest training run I've seen on CFE, and that'll probably be my longest run for my full marathon training. Although BMack did talk in the cert I attended about doing a 4x 5K or 5x 5K holding pace, like a long-*** sprint workout (sounds hellish).

As for the "sufferfest" i'm in for... one thing CF has taught me is that I should actually try new ways of thinking about fitness before discounting them. Maybe it will be, maybe it won't, but at least I'll have given it an honest shot.

Sorry to partly hijack the triathalon thread, but all I'm saying is to give CFE a try and see if it works for you.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
Lisa Gallagher

Profile:

Best of luck to you Megan! Let us know how it goes!