CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #21
John Seaburg

Profile:
I'm not sure one's fitness level changes early morning cortisol spikes. If anything a superfit individual would be more likely to do a super intense workout. Sure, you can adapt to AM workouts just like you can adapt to working the graveyard shift but it doesn't change cycles and rhythms of the environment around us. The adaptation might come with a health sacrifice.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #22
Gant Grimes

Profile:

What the hell is this talk of cortisol (and everything else)? I like AM workouts. I like midnight workouts, and I like lunch workouts. I perform the same at all of them.

If you adhere to the CF philosophy of general physical preparedness, then your needs to be prepared at 6 am, 11 am, 4 pm, or whenever the need arises. Your body will adapt to AM workouts like anything else. You're the boss, not your body.

The only issue I have is getting the back a little extra stretching for ME days. After six hours in a relaxed, non-compressed state, the spine may need some extra attention before getting under big weight.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #23
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
My two cents...

Each person is different, and it will probably take a while to adjust. Maybe a minimum of two weeks or so. When I know I'm working out hard in the a.m. (Crossfit vs a slow morning job), this is what I do:

Two or three sips of water every 10 or so minutes the hour prior to bed, with a cup a few minutes before. (I've managed to figure out just how much works for my frame.)
A swallow of Muscle Milk.
Get up 45 mins to an hour early.
Hydrate. A swallow of muscle milk. Maybe part of a Cliff bar if my wake-up was too early.
Work out.
Water, a swallow of muscle milk. 45 mins later an actual meal.

Hope this helps...it's not much different than what most other folks posted, just specialized for me. I can't eat right before a workout...and certainly not in the morning right before a workout...but I need something to get bodily functions (ahem) moving prior to beginning the WoD. Once I figured that part out I was golden.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #24
Mike Groth

Profile:
I have gotten used to the early AM workout on an empty stomach. I just wake up drink some water w/ my multi vitamin and hit the WOD.

Yesterday when I worked out at 1730 due to a change in work schedule I felt like pukie was going to join me half way through the work out. I think you can adapt to whatever time you chose to workout. Figure out what pre-workout routine works for you and hit it hard!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #25
Alex Nisetich

Profile:
One thing to keep in mind is the amount of time between workouts. If you usually exercise during the day or early evening, like me, then you won't be at 100% in a morning workout when you've only had about 12 hours to recover from your last one. Make sure that you transition from all day to all morning, or vice versa to ensure that you are getting enough rest between workouts.
As for morning workouts, during high school my football team required me to lift every morning at 6:30 am before classes. I would always get up an hour before the workout to eat a BIG meal and hydrate myself. This won't work for everybody, but you should at least make sure you are hydrated and not feeling hungry.