CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Nicho Mann

Profile:
Football Team - Overhead Squats!?! Wut?

Not sure if this is the right section, so I apologize in advance.

To make a long story somewhat short:

I go back to my HS weight room to lift and often see the football team in there. Well one day they happened to be doing overhead squats and I have to say I was impressed, even with their terrible form.

The reason I am so surprised is because I am unfamiliar with any football program that trains the OHS. I am talking hs and college (I go to BC).

Anyway, this coach really knows his stuff - they went undefeated last season, just like the previous season when I played, and they look to do the same this year.

To make things even better, the coach made the entire team watch me squat (deep of course) and clean. Of course I instantly thanked SS and crossfit in my mind for such achievements.

Yes, this is a rant and I will continue to love Crossfit.

-Nicho
Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Kevin McMahon

Profile:
Re: Football Team - Overhead Squats!?! Wut?

Well i can say that we never did overhead squats, but we did do a lot of front squats in HS and i always felt odd doing it. But it always seems that there are football teams out there that make anything work. Like ST johns in St cloud minnesota. They dont ever hit in practice, and have absolutely no required workouts, and coach John Gagliardi is the winningest coach in College football history. Im just saying
Old 08-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Nicho Mann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McMahon View Post
Well i can say that we never did overhead squats, but we did do a lot of front squats in HS and i always felt odd doing it. But it always seems that there are football teams out there that make anything work. Like ST johns in St cloud minnesota. They dont ever hit in practice, and have absolutely no required workouts, and coach John Gagliardi is the winningest coach in College football history. Im just saying
We too did front squats which somewhat makes sense to me.

True, teams will do unique things.

This same team also does something called a tripe threat in which they do a power clean, front squat, and then a push jerk, then repeat.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Jason Koenig

Profile:

I created a small workout for some of my players earlier this week which included overhead workouts (as well as Tabata push-ups).

It was all very new to them and painful.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
Robert Gonzalez

Profile:

High school football lifting programs are designed for strength, don't get me wrong. But I think that at that stage it's more about mental toughness and not so much the strength. It's about preparing players to push through the fourth quarter when he tank is empty but the game isn't over.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Scott Borre

Profile:

High school lifting programs primarily revolve around keeping away injuries. Too many players, not enough weights, not enough coaches, not enough well informed coaches. Meaning a high school football team workout session has all of the necessary ingredients for poor lifting form leading to injury. So its probably better.. in some ways for them not to.

However, even better would be to have a good S&C coach who can get people to use proper form and then have players 'coach' each other to ensure safety.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I'm hoping to translate my up coming Barbell Certification and current weightlifting practice into a volunteer position at a highschool. I work out a a gym with a lot of high school athletes, and frankly, it's sad. One kid was wearing gloves and a belt while he did 1 arm preacher bench curls. And he plays football.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
Nicho Mann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Borre View Post
High school lifting programs primarily revolve around keeping away injuries. Too many players, not enough weights, not enough coaches, not enough well informed coaches. Meaning a high school football team workout session has all of the necessary ingredients for poor lifting form leading to injury. So its probably better.. in some ways for them not to.

However, even better would be to have a good S&C coach who can get people to use proper form and then have players 'coach' each other to ensure safety.
This is so true because there are countless high school athletes who get injured because of a lack of muscle/strength development. People are just uninformed and aren't trained properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gonzalez View Post
High school football lifting programs are designed for strength, don't get me wrong. But I think that at that stage it's more about mental toughness and not so much the strength. It's about preparing players to push through the fourth quarter when he tank is empty but the game isn't over.

Just my thoughts.
This is also true on certain levels. When I played, plyometrics and sprints played a big part in creating mental toughness. Weights played a part, but not as big imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'm hoping to translate my up coming Barbell Certification and current weightlifting practice into a volunteer position at a highschool. I work out a a gym with a lot of high school athletes, and frankly, it's sad. One kid was wearing gloves and a belt while he did 1 arm preacher bench curls. And he plays football.
That is fantastic to hear. I try to give all the advice that I can when around HS athletes because of their lack of knowledge.

There will always be poor form just because so many people are ill advised.