CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Joe Waguespack

Profile:
Ending my affiliation with CF.

I just wanted to let some of you know that I will be ending my affiliation with Crossfit. Many of you have sent me some very nice emails and I have even received some phone calls from people all over the country who really let me know how much they appreciated and enjoy my web site and workouts, I truly appreciate each and every message and call I receive and I will continue to run my facility and site in the same manner.

The new name of my facility will be The Strength Liberation Academy (S.L.A.)
and my old site address will link you to the new page.

I have taken a different path and I have become so far removed from CF that it does not make sense for me to stay affiliated and promote myself as a Crossfit gym.

I wish all of the other affiliates , both new and old, the best of luck. I have just decided to venture out on my own path and do things differently and explore some new opportunities and the increasing popularity and growing mainstream appeal of Crossfit does not fit in with my new developments.

No hard feelings , just a personal choice.

"Punish the body to perfect the soul"-Mark Twight

Old 08-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Ending my affiliation with CF.

Have fun Joe, stay strong man.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Toby Jurging

Profile:

Good luck Joe.... I was just wondering what you have changed? How have you gotten away from CF? Reasons?

Not prying, just curious?

Thanks and once again best of luck with the new venture

Old 08-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Joe, didn't you just recently affiliate? If you don't mind, what has changed your mind, or what has led to away from CF? Just curious, don't mean harp on you. I think it's important to know because you hear many success stories or positive experiences among affiliates, yet not many negatives.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
Joe, didn't you just recently affiliate? If you don't mind, what has changed your mind, or what has led to away from CF? Just curious, don't mean harp on you. I think it's important to know because you hear many success stories or positive experiences among affiliates, yet not many negatives.

Randy,

The quick growth and mass appeal (which is a positive for many, which I understand) is more of a negative for me. CF seems to have become a finite thing rather than a concept. I have actually never used a CF workout since I opened and really never marketed myself as a CF, so it just doesn't make sense to me to anymore to stay affiliated. I would rather not be attached to anyone or thing, especially something that has taken on such a mainstream following.

Louisiana had 0 CF's for the longest time, since I opened four have popped up in a few months. I just don't want to be another CF, I have done things differently from the start and have attracted a certain client base that I work well with and most of whom never knew what CF was before I opened. I'm not looking for huge membership numbers, just a solid base of athletes that enjoy my style of training.

Would it be a smart financial/professional move to use the CF name for all it's worth? yes it would.

But that is not why I got into this. I do not represent what CF does and CF doesn't represent what I do, so the choice was just obvious for me.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Kim Layton

Profile:

No word of a lie...I was reading another thread about "bringing the good guys back" and I was thinking where the hell did joe - cool the tattoo guy - go?

Best of luck to you...loved your insightful comments.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Joe,
Interesting thread. Crossfit is a strength and conditioning program designed around random functional movements performed at high intensity. If in your practice you don't use the clock, don't use random functional movements then it makes perfect sense not to be an affiliate. Don't fly the flag if your not following the concept. Cleaner for everybody.
Good luck.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate the wishes.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Joe,

I was curious as to how your and CF training differed? I don't think CF is just the WOD, it's the concept of mixed modalities and general fitness. Do you think the main streaming of CF reducing it's effectiveness (more people scaling more) or is it a change in general philosophy, such as a change to a "hybrid method" or such?

Either way, I wish you the best of luck man. I have some relative in Lousiana, maybe I'll get to see for myself.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
Joe,
Interesting thread. Crossfit is a strength and conditioning program designed around random functional movements performed at high intensity. If in your practice you don't use the clock, don't use random functional movements then it makes perfect sense not to be an affiliate. Don't fly the flag if your not following the concept. Cleaner for everybody.
Good luck.
Joe is using functional compound movements, and uses the clock for some workouts. The training in his gym looks to be effective, but you know, CF does not have exclusive rights to functional training.

Joe,
I think that you have made a good choice for your gym and clients. If you think that you can better produce the results and athletes you want without the CF title, then go for it. Best of fortunes!

Closed Thread