CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Matt Richardson

Profile:
Yesterday I wore the old heart rate monitor and saw my heart rate at 192 bpm. Is a heart rate that high dangerous?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Curiously no. Your body will stop before your heart blows up. I'll try to track down the reference when I have some more time.

I wear a HR monitor for all the metabolic workouts and have recorded some really extreme numbers (think 220 bpm during sets of kb swings).
Old 06-16-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Matt, I find it funny that you ask a question like that, only to see your signature right below it...:happy:

You are still alive, right? I think you'll be just fine. What are you concerned about in particular?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Matt Richardson

Profile:
It's just curiosity... The stupid little book that comes with the heart rate monitor tells you your max heart rate is 220-age... That would mean 188 for me. I've had it up that high for hour long runs before...
Besides if my heart explodes it explodes. That beats dying in a nursing home some day.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
Motion Macivor

Profile:
nope,
maybe if you have heart disease or if you've never exercised before. You're 30 years old and even a useless rulle of thumb like 220 minus your age would put you at 190 bpm. The fact is this was probably way lower than what your heart is really capable of. When I was racing we used to test our max HR a few times a year most times we did this I could get it up to 199 or 201 after training for two years I did one test where I held 211 for over a minute! Your max hr is supposed to be fixed and generally declines over time. But this is a moot point because most people will never ever ever reach it anyway. Ever. The only real real benefit of knowing your MHR is to use it as a gage to monitor your training zones (if you're on an endurance training program of some type) otherwise monitoring your percieved exertion is much more useful and just as effective.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Motion Macivor

Profile:
mike,
220 that's sick
Old 06-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
Mark Dowst

Profile:
I know resting heart rate can be used to determine fitness, lower being better. Is max heart rate ever used as a fitness indicator? If it is, the higher the better right? I recently did a quick run through a park and held 190-194 for about 1.5mi, then again I'm 20.

So..
Is MAX HR a health indicator?
Is a higher MAX HR better than a lower one?
Does your MAX HR increase with training?
Old 06-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #8
John Seaburg

Profile:
Having a high max and a low resting can be a good sign of health and fitness. Another thing to look for is your ability to quickly bring your heart rate up and down. It's difficult for most people to raise their heart rate 80 beats in one minute. A one minute recovery of 40 plus is pretty good too. None of this guarantees health or fitness but they are good signs.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Sam Cannons

Profile:
I have had my HR to 223 during a beep test. I know a 60 year old who plays a lot of squash and regularly gets his hr over 200 !! A low resting HR can also mean cardiac problems - it isnt an accurate measure of fitness try FRAN instead.

Regards
Old 06-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
Mark Dowst

Profile:
How long can one hold thier true maximal heart rate? If I wanted to calculate maximal heart rate I should just grab a monitor and push myself as hard as possible? My heart rate falls pretty quick if I let up on my pace and jumps around pretty quickly.