CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
James Falkner

Profile:
Article: "Is Your Workout Wasting Your Time?"

Buddy of mine forwarded me this article (wfs). It discusses globo gyms and their ineffectiveness at producing results, chaining you to expensive machines and regimens, and how functional fitness is better and more and more people are realizing it (mentions CF and Greg Glassman as well). All in all seemed to be a good read. Hope it hasn't already been hashed on this board.

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
"The health-club culture tries to create a dependency on machines," says Vern Gambetta, a trainer with 38 years of experience training professional and recreational athletes, and the author of Athletic Development: The Art & Science of Functional Sports Conditioning. "If you have a limited amount of time to work out, you're better off ditching the machine to do different kinds of body-weight and whole-body exercises. You'll get more caloric burn for your time spent." Critics also charge that a traditional machine-centric regimen has other downsides. In general, it relies excessively on the discipline of the exerciser, it promotes training muscles in isolation (as opposed to how muscles really work, in a chain of movement), and it can stress vulnerable joints more than is necessary. At issue is not only the very meat and potatoes of how you work out, but also the best way to get the most out of your time in the gym.
http://health.msn.com/fitness/articl...0184336&page=1
(wfs)
Old 12-28-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Article: "Is Your Workout Wasting Your Time?"

Yes. Twice actually. One is linked in the related threads section.

Good article as I recall, though.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
James Falkner

Profile:

LOL. I seem to have lost my search fu. I thought it was an excellent read, I guess it's old school now
Old 01-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Celio Silva

Profile:

It may be old for some, James, but it's brandnew to others. Thanks A LOT for posting it. Excellent read indeed!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Zach Mitchell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Falkner View Post
Buddy of mine forwarded me this article (wfs). It discusses globo gyms and their ineffectiveness at producing results, chaining you to expensive machines and regimens, and how functional fitness is better and more and more people are realizing it (mentions CF and Greg Glassman as well). All in all seemed to be a good read. Hope it hasn't already been hashed on this board.

Here's an excerpt:

http://health.msn.com/fitness/articl...0184336&page=1
(wfs)
New to me as I am to CF. You can never get enough reassurance about how much better CF is for the body vs. conventional exercise. It's overwhelming how helpful this site/forum is. In this case redundancy is testimony to how much CFers believe in CrossFit!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Mitchell View Post
New to me as I am to CF. You can never get enough reassurance about how much better CF is for the body vs. conventional exercise. It's overwhelming how helpful this site/forum is. In this case redundancy is testimony to how much CFers believe in CrossFit!
That makes me laugh, because a lot of what we do is true conventional exercising. Before gyms, people got strong by picking up heavy things. They got fast by running. Most importantly, they worked hard. Look for some pictures of early century strongmen. They were beasts and there was not a machine in sight.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
John Schneider

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
That makes me laugh, because a lot of what we do is true conventional exercising. Before gyms, people got strong by picking up heavy things. They got fast by running. Most importantly, they worked hard. Look for some pictures of early century strongmen. They were beasts and there was not a machine in sight.
Yes, but people like to think of themselves as outside the norm and smarter than everyone else, so don't tell anyone that. Old=Bad
Old 01-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
Yes, but people like to think of themselves as outside the norm and smarter than everyone else, so don't tell anyone that. Old=Bad
Dude, I let the secret out!
Quick, someone close this thread!:stir: