CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Jahmaal Sawyer

Profile:
Nutrition Help.

I started CF about 3 weeks ago now, and physically I feel the benefits and increase in overall health and well being. However, my weak-point is and always will be my diet. I love food, and my weight shows it. I'm 5'9" and about 240 lbs. Not extremely overweight, but enough that it makes doing simple things that were relatively easy when I was lighter a lot harder. My overall goal is to get to 200 lbs. I don't want to get much lower than that because of my job as a gymnastics and cheerleading coach. It just makes my job easier to have to weight and strength to be able to spot my students. I just need some help to ease into a healthy diet program to get myself on track. The problem I always end up running into is that I have to go from relatively zero diet discipline to 100% overnight, and it just gets overwhelming. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Nutrition Help.

Cut down on refined grains and sugar a little, add a bit more fruits and vegetables.

A faster path to weight loss would probably just be major calorie reduction, but that seems like neither what you want to do nor conducive to your athletic needs.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Dale Ryan Thompson

Profile:

First, accurately find out what your body fat% is, then using that determine what you lean body mass is(scale weight x bf%=fat mass, scale weight - fat mass=lean body mass). Sounds like you have a decent amount of muscle mass for what your activity is, so consume about 1g protein per pound of lean body mass. This will give adequate protein as to not lose muscle. Overdoing it on protein just turns to extra calories. As stated before, try and get the majority of your calories from water rich carb sources such as fruit(not dried and not juice), vegetables, and whole grains. Make sure you do not neglect fat. Mono and polyunsaturated fat sources, ie. nuts, olive oil, avacodos, etc. Your saturated fat will come with your lean protein sources. This, coupled with CrossFit will shed fat off you. Hope this helps a little.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Long term changes are usually best made incrementally. In order of importance, here's where I think you'll get the biggest bang for your buck:

1. Work on eliminating foods that cause big insulin spikes, namely, sugars of all sorts. In addition to table sugar, try to cut back on any processed foods you eat, because virtually all of them have sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, dextrose, maltodextrose, and the dozens of other forms sugar comes in. The ideal is, if you can't find it growing in your garden, on a bush or tree, on the hoof, on the wing or in the sea, don't eat it. This change alone will improve your health and probably drop your weight.

2. Make friends with vegetables and fruits.

3. Eat a few nuts every day.

4. Cut back on saturated fats: animals fat of all sorts---fat in meat and fowl and in full-fat dairy products. Use healthy oils like olive oil for cooking and seasoning. Make friends with avocados and wild caught salmon.

5. Drink lots of water.

Good luck!
Susie