CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #11
Bob Holman

Profile:
Re: Diabetic Dude on the Zone

BTW - A little off topic from this post, but has anyone else recently gone off Lantus (I imagine there isn't a huge diabetic sub-group here)? Once I changed, I noticed a marked improvement in feelings of stress (lower) and happiness (higher). I did some research and found that Lantus can negatively affect brain chemistry, something my Endo never mentioned. Anyone care to comment?

Bob
Old 08-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
Michael Terska

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Holman View Post
Hi Michael,

Do you mind telling me how long ago you were diagnosed? I am a type I, ten years diagnosed, if I ate any of these things you mentioned without supplemental bolus insulin my BG readings would be well into the 200 - 300 range. If you are newly diagnosed then you may still be producing some insulin? BTW, I have been on the pump for 4 months, Lantus/Novo for about 5 years before that. I've seen Lantus have a strong effect, but that meal would have been close to 100 grams carb - nothing Lantus could have covered.

Just curious - thanks for your post. I love to read about people with type I facing there disease and kicking it into submission.

Bob
I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago... I still have to take insulin if I eat the garbage I used to like fast food etc... but still, this diet and the physical training have done wonders for me. May not work the same for others but I'm happy with my results.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
David Aguasca

Profile:

Bob, Re: Lantus, i was only on it for 5 months before i went on to the pump. my endo was certain that i'd be able to handle the responsibility....so far, so good.

i didn't feel any serious change in mood. maybe the difference you feel is due to the flexibility in eating patterns that a pump brings?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
Michael Terska

Profile:

I've not had any mood responses either, least not that I can tell. Wife hasn't complained either, though I have been more driven to become healthier by any means possible since I've had to start poking myself all the time. That part does stimulate my mad cells. GOod on ya with the pump bro, I considered one of those bout a year or so ago, but I'm a BJJ guy so I'd ahve to deal with it being ripped from my body daily and that's just not something I'm willing to put up with.