CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:34 AM   #1
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
I played basketball today.
Because we crossfitters need to work our weaknesses in addition to our strengths.

Let me clarify that. I am, if not diagnosably phobic of ball sports, as close as one can come without requiring medication.

I didn't play them as a kid. I was humiliated with them in high school. I have probably been on a basketball court all of 15 times in my 45 years. The athletic abilities I developed (as an adult) have all been in the realm of combat sports, power sports, and archery (and other forms of marksmanship).

I would much rather step into a ring with a shaven-headed, heavily tatooed angry guy who outweighs me, or hunt wild boar with a recurve bow and arrows, than onto a basketball court.

Much rather.

But two of the guys who have followed me into this crazy world we call crossfit are basketball guys. And they've been asking me to go out on the court. And eventually I realized that if I'm going to walk my talk, I would have to work not only my strengths, but my weaknesses. And those weaknesses are personified by basketball.

So with a lot of grumbling and caveats about just how very much I would suck, I joined them on the basketball court.

And here was the interesting thing. After they taught me the fundamentals of the game, I found (surprise surprise) that Coach is entirely right about yet another aspect of CF.

Accuracy is a parameter of fitness, and as with other fitness parameters, improvements in accuracy from one area carry over into other areas.

Last time (any previous time, but the last time was in 1992) I was on a basketball court I simply could not put the ball into the net. Free throws might have well have been half court throws.

This time, I sank 4 of 6 free throws, and hit a couple of shots from the court. That was simply bizarre to me. I can only attribute it to several years spent shooting archery (and doing martial arts).

Accuracy is a translatable skill mode.

In addition, crossfit fitness (and comfort with contact from MA) made it so that, according to them, I played credible (physical) defense.

This stuff transfers over.

Very, very cool.

JK
Old 01-21-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Very cool stuff Jon. I did not play B-ball, because when I was a kid, I didn't have access to a court...I didn't even have a garage to hang a hoop. I bought a goalrilla backboard for my son, Brent, and he plays in the summer and enters a league in the winter (right after indoor soccer). I want to expose him to every type of sport. One of the big advantages CF gives us is conditioning and speed, even the youngsters don't really work on conditioning, so play tough defense, wear them down, and then take your time shooting! I still suck shooting, but I move around the court well...when necessary.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
After doing martial arts for over a decade, none of my friends want to play Hoops with me. Ever. Someone always gets hurt.

For some reason, the game isn't about the ball for me. It is about manhandling the opponent.

Ah, good times. . .
Old 01-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I have played basketball all my life, and I'm decent at it. My quickness has always been more of an asset than anything. But last year at school, we used to play once or twice a week and that's where CrossFit conditioning shined brightly. After a couple games of full court, everyone else was flagging, which suddenly made me much better. I'd even get comments of "where do you get all this energy?" That was my long version of Larry's "conditioning and speed" comment.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Last weekend, my accuracy was called into use in (of all things)a game of horseshoes.
I played at first using my right arm, being right-handed, and it went fairly well for being out of practice.
Wanting more of a challenge, I switched to using my left arm.
After a while, my partner suggested I try also throwing while on one leg.
I actually did alright, even got one ringer.
I was surprised it went as well as it did.
Transfer of skills seemed to be working.