CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:42 AM   #141
Court Wing

Profile:
That may have been "hitting bottom" for Sexton, but isn't
"getting pepper sprayed by the police in the middle of the street while on your hands & knees in wet underwear"
just the begining of a real good night for your average powerlifter?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #142
Dan Silver

Profile:

Eugene, you're gonna have to show me that scar. Reminds me of why I no longer where my seatbelt on patrol.

-D.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #143
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
John - that video is absolutely priceless. It really does look staged though. What are the odds of two perfect throws like that?

Sorry Dan, no scar - it was a bloody but small cut and most of it is under my eyebrow. I do have a wonderful one on the top of my head from a stapler that fell off a ladder...but that's nothing. On a SWAT day some months back Tom Catey had an "empty" stapler in his hand that he was bringing back from the target line to the shooting line to refill. Black Knight was back there (Rhabdo guy) and was laying down with his .308...not in a romantic way but being professional and all. Anyway, it was Brian's day and Tom complained about Brian not keeping the staplers filled and he put it to Brian's forehead and cranked one off. Yup.

It went right through his hat and stapled it to his forehead. Every time I think about that I wince and then laugh out loud remembering the look on Brian's face. A "Did you just staple my hat to my friggen forehead?" look is unmistakeable. Stuff is always happening to that poor guy.

Wear your seatbelt Dan. C'mon. What kind of message is that? The likelihood of your getting into a crash and the danger of that crash is far greater than the problems you are likely to encounter with your seatbelt. I don't want to hear about you being scraped out of your car one day. Please...for me. Get good at unbuckling.

This is too funny. My Zach is watching Rescue Heros and their concluding safety message they always give was "Remember, accidents happen when you least expect them so always wear your seatbelt." See, even the Rescue Heros say so.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:44 PM   #144
Dan Silver

Profile:

I know, I know... I wear it in pursuits (ah, I remember when we could do those... memories), freeway driving and high-speed responses still. But, at normal patrol speed I tend to leave it off. I know it's a bad habit but I am rather ambush paranoid.

-D.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:15 AM   #145
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Raise your hand if your radio mic comes flying off, in a foot pursuit, and tangles in your legs...come on raise em'. Got a good pepper fogger story, involving a 280 lb LSD using psyco, who called himself "Kong" as in King...when I have more time.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #146
Ted Williams

Profile:
I did a nice 15 hour day of surveillance last Friday...ended at 12:30am...my wife was out of town, so like a ******* I called my bud who is on graves in our hometown...I asked if he'd like to get some coffee or something, and he sayd "hey, why not just come ride along?"...so I thought about it for like 2 seconds and said "hell yeah!"...anyhow, did a ride till 5:30am...surprisingly boring for a Friday night, must be me. The last 2 weeks my bud has nabbed two burgleries in progress, one of which ended in a pursuit and wreck where the idiot (not my bud :biggrin:) wrecked into one of my favorite Italian places in town. My bud ended up slamming into him why he tried to back out...

Anyhow, our shift I got to mess with 3 drunks, one of which kept threatening to french kiss me and my bud (because we didn't have a breathalizer)..she was cool...and one guy who was blurting out the funniest drunk talk I've heard in a while....ooh, and a tweeker who bugged out when he saw my bud in uniform, and me in plain clothes get out of the car. He ran up to me (I came about an inch from smacking the crap out of him, crazy man running at me) and yelled out "I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS *****, ONE IS IN A UNIFORM, THE OTHER ISN'T!"...then went on to tell me I needed gold teeth if I was undercover.

I love my job...you patrol guys have a rough life man...it must get super old sometimes. I mean, it was fun for 5 hours, but I would end up cranky as hell if I dealt with drunks all the time.

Ted
Old 06-21-2005, 01:13 PM   #147
Dan Silver

Profile:

I like patrol because I don't have to get up in the morning. The drunk thing is pretty lame though. As is the whole "people who call 911" crowd. They annoy me too. It's like nobody understands all the screwing around I have to accomplish in a shift.

Larry- That radio mic thing happened to me the FIRST DAY of the academy and it hit me in the balls. Needless to say I'm rocking a super-secret-squirrel earpiece thing now.

-D.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #148
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ok, we (our swat team) just got pepper foggers. This is pepper spray from a fire extinguisher...used to beat back angry mobs. We get a call to a small town. Guy is off his meds, I think the medical term is "looney" and smoking crack and taking LSD. Dude barricades himself in his brand new house and proceeds to destroy the interior. Locals throw in a throw phone (brand new) which the guy beats to death with an ax handle and throws back. Locals are ****ed. We pull in and I hear, "were going in to get him, draw up a plan" Now this NEVER happens. Negoiate, wait, talk, blah, blah, blah, but never go get him (at least not at first). We put the plan together, we're going in silent until contact, bring that new pepper fogger, what the heck. Oh yah, this guy is about 6'4" 280 - 300lbs of bad a$$. Me and Hop enter a bedroom and see him under a sheet on the bed. We yell to see his hands, he brings his arms up in the double biceps pose and yells "KONG, KONG!" I look at Hop and say "holster" (we knew we were going to fight and left the long guns in the truck). One of our guys comes in with the pepper fogger and paints this guys upper body with pepper spray. When we pull him off the bed there is an outline of his head, in red! The guy does not know he was hit with the pepper spray and the wrestling match starts. I knee him and put him in a chicken wing, and one of my guys puts a flex cuff on my hand. After shouting at him he gets it right and the guy is cuffed, we carry him out dripping pepper spray. The news thinks it's blood and that we shot him. Wasted a pair of nomex gloves that day.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:40 PM   #149
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Long time ago call with a nut case that chased her son out of their house with an ax and was "acting weird" with the neighbors to boot. We get the call to deal with her and have to get her out because of threats, the danger to herself and others thing and the assault on her son...no DV law back then but it was a good assault attempt.

OC goes in, expulsive CS powder into the room she was in and a burner on the kitchen linoleum. She sat at an upstairs window, in agonizingly plain view drinking a diet coke and smoking a cigarette completely unfazed by the gas. We had our gas masks on even though we were outside the house. Nuts can really tolerate a lot of pain.

We eventually have to go in but before we do either she tells us or the son tells us (I don't remember) that she has some sort of acid in a squirt bottle. Great. Liquid weapon. How do you deal with that? We ram the rear door but find that she has blocked it closed with the dryer. Took awhile to get by it. She blocked our path with tables, chairs, dishes and other kitchen stuff and kept herself at a distance from us with that pile of stuff. I was closest and she squirted something at me. I ducked and wasn't sure if it got on me but when she stopped squirting I hit her with a riot cannister of OC. She went flying backwards and I ran through and over the junk pile and took her into custody.

It was acid and it ate through the camo outer cover of my vest and had to be replaced. More interestingly was my discovery, as I walked back to my car, that I sprayed her with a peppermint trainer. I found out later (amid quite a hailstorm of minty commentary) that Greg Riehl had centerpunched her with a fence board he brought in with him just as I sprayed her. That's why she went flying.

I have since very carefully segregated my training aids from the real stuff.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:45 PM   #150
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Man you guys have all the fun!

I should have joined the cops when i left the Army.