CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #21
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Thanks Dan, and David, maybe you're right - it may depend on where your are starting. But, I also know I have lots of room for improvement as far as core strength goes and I don't feel I get it from OHS's.

Coach B, at the gym I belong to, I've taught a few willing members how to OHS, they always remark the next time I see them "Man I'm sore in places I never knew I had muscle!" :-)
Old 12-12-2005, 09:05 AM   #22
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Veronica, have you ever tried overhead squats, turkish get-ups, or guard sit-ups with kettlebells or dumbbells?

The first of these two exercises show up occasionally in Coach B's WOD occasionally. I acclimate quickly to these exercises, but when I first do them after not having done them for a while, the really light up the obliques, and even the abdominals proper to some extent. The unevenness of the load makes a huge difference - especially if you do the overhead squat oly style: Bolt upright, shoulder elevated, torso facing straight forward. Twisting to position both shoulders more symmetrically around the weight seems to substantially alleviate the difficulty of the one-arm overhead squat.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #23
Mike Burgener

Profile:
ross...what are guard sit ups?

veronica....it's probably a cultural thing...hell you are 4 foot nothing to begin with and do not have far to sqt!! ok, ok!!! just kidding!! but in reality the asian population, phillapino's etc all have that genetic gift of great flexibility...that may be too general for some but i am always trying to get my asian kids to lift because of their flexibility.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #24
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Coach B,

A guard sit-up is just the sit-up portion of the turkish get-up, repeated, and done without any assistance from the hand that isn't holding the weight, and, if possible without any momentum or twisting. Mike Mahler and some other KB instructors are big on these for MMA conditioning. This one is supposed to improve your strength in the BJJ guard position.

By the way, Coach, when you assign a total number of box jumps on your WOD is the idea to take a really high box and do sets of low reps, or to take an only somewhat high box (like hip height, or slightly lower) and do higher reps?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:47 PM   #25
Mike Burgener

Profile:
i like my kids to take as high a jump as they can. cody has gone 52" for 5-10 reps....thanks for the explanation.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:30 AM   #26
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Thanks, Coach, will do.