CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Don Yates

Profile:
Fitness Conduit

After 3 / 4 weeks now of training doing CF im loving it. My aim has shifted slightly to being fit and i never realised how unfit i was untill i started doing these routines. When i started i was concerned that it wasnt enough as a daily excersise, but on reflection after taking into account the warm up and actual WoD it does add up.

I have been following fitness Conduit as i touched on the website a few weeks back. I initially thought then that it was doing more oly lifts which i want to get used to for strength purposes. I have tried to search the net hard but with little luck. The blog site also explains very little. Is it CF with just different routines?

thanks in advance

Don
Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Carlos Cruz

Profile:
Re: Fitness Conduit

the fitness conduit is a program by coach rut that is a more strength biased fitness. He has the week broken down into 3 days and will perform a a strength workout and then a short crossfit style wod for the most part. The break down of the days are :

upper body i.e. press
lower body i.e. squat
full body i.e. clean

each lift is used for three weeks and then switched to another lift. The whole purpose for his workouts is to get max effort each day depending on the rep scheme.

hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Cameron Patterson

Profile:

Don

MEBB is CF, it just focuses more on strength development than the mainsite does.

If you are really interested in the olympic lifts, you may want to check out Catalyst Athletics, which post workouts that are very based around the olympic lifts. You may also be able to follow the Fitness Conduit workouts and simply subsitute the olympic lifts in or add olympic skill work in at the end.

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Don Yates

Profile:

Thanks to both for you for clearing that up for me. Cameron i did PM you also.

I did check and try a WoD on catalyst athletics today. Got to say i like the amount of lifts involved. I am trying to build strength but keep cardio up . Is it ok to do a mix off of catalyst WoD and CF WoD?

Cheers

Don
Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Yates View Post
Is it ok to do a mix off of catalyst WoD and CF WoD?
Unless you're an experienced trainer who can make educated decisions about how to properly combine the two, I'd recommend just picking one program and sticking to it for 4-8 weeks at a stretch. Remember, constantly varied does not equal random. Stringing workouts together without any sort of scheme is a good recipe for injury.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
Stringing workouts together without any sort of scheme is a good recipe for injury.
Is that actually true, or more of an "old wives tale."

I've seen many of the top people in CF and Power Lifting state that there is nothing (as far as physical health is concerned) wrong with doing the same exercise every day.

So if that is true (Rippetoe, Simmons and others think it is), then the real problem with totally random exercising isn't really injury, it's just the high probability of not training to maximum effectiveness.