CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #991
Jim Ryan

Profile:
Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

What a let down for this last event. Part 1 you have 5 girls staring at the peg board and for part two you are watching a number on your screen count cals.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #992
Tim Squires

Profile:

Really would've liked to see something like the cincos to set up a potential race between Fraser and Smith. This event is very meh.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #993
Cory House

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Squires View Post
Well at least we got a race.
Ending was great!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #994
Jason Fischer

Profile:

The men's final is what it could have been if everyone had some time to familiarize themselves with the pegboard thing. Legitimately exciting (although it helped that there were only a few points between first and second)
Old 07-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #995
Tim Squires

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Squires View Post
Really would've liked to see something like the cincos to set up a potential race between Fraser and Smith. This event is very meh.
Well at least we got a race.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #996
Struan Potter

Profile:

Well done to Ben Smith! Great final heat!

I had a feeling Fraser wasn't going to win before the week started but I didn't share it. Happy to see a European on the podium! Gudmundson has done well all week!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #997
Jason Fischer

Profile:

Well, I'm glad I didn't have any money on the games this year. 0/6 predictions came true. (0/9 if you count the teams). Super happy to see Ben take the games though. It's been a long time coming.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #998
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Personally, I liked the Pegboard event but that's the gymnast speaking in me.

My guess is the gals had a harder time with the pegboard and HSPU because of cumulative fatigue in the upper body.

I don't think it's a bad event just because a majority of the competitors didn't do well on it. That's life. It's hard to say if they thought the gals wouldn't have had such a difficult time with it because of said fatigue.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #999
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I watched most of the events (pretty much all of them and all the heats too). Here's my thoughts.

I though the swimming event on day 1 was pretty good however ocean swimming is a big of a game changer for people who have no access. It seems to have had very little outcome on the final placings.

The sandbag move: awesome event, equalizes a lot of things and actually is a pretty basic display of work capacity. Take this ****, pick it up and move it over here.

Murph - great idea, horrible execution. This should have been done early in the morning and out of the sun. This wrecked pretty much everyone for the rest of the weekend.

The snatch speed ladder, again exciting, should have allowed the snatch anyhow to prevent the judging snags

Heavy DT - I liked this one only barbell cycling we saw all weekend.......in the individuals

Sprint obstacle course - again super cool, surprised only one pulled hamstring, no surprise Bailey won them both, also not terribly taxing on the CNS

Soccer chipper - again a really cool event and a great test of the CP battery and upper stamina on the pig and the rope climbs, people should know legless rope climbs are coming. Didn't murder anyone either.

The clean and jerk - again a great event and set up pretty well. Wonder how heavy people might have gotten if they went three rounds.

The triangle event - again pretty cool but maybe a bit of overkill, an unnecessary beatdown in my opinion.

Midline event - the yoke carries were pretty pointless they could have just made this a 1.5 mile time trial and likely the results would have been the same. I am shocked no one has broken an ankle up and down those stairs. Plus those stairs are a huge bottleneck for passing...regardless I liked this one and again I don;t think it murdered people.

The two final events - the first one, for the ladies was pretty much a waste of time, I did like it for the men though as they all have a lot of pulling strength and doing something like that equalizes things out. I didn't mind the rowing/bike as a test but it is not spectator friendly. The snatch and Kbs were heavy enough to cause some issues but not too heavy.

Overall a pretty decent set of tests for the week. Some long stuff, some short stuff, and some strength and gymnastics testing. Thos last test were fairly aerobic as I think only Fraser really killed himself on the rower and bike.

As far as the teams go........well Castro succeeded in dreaming up a scenario in which Rich won, would have been way more interesting had Norcal not got hurt. Making 300 points up in solo events in a team competition is a joke.

I also question whether Rich and James Hobart spent 50% of their time training at Crossfit Mayhem, my guess no offing way, should that not disqualify them or do those rules only apply in certain circumstances ?
Old 07-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #1000
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I was surprised and excited to see the pegboard introduced. I'm in the process of building a pegboard for my home gym. The pegboard hasn't been used in CrossFit until now, but I remember having fun on it in middle school PE class, so I wanted to build one for myself. What other unknown equipment can CrossFit use next?

Last edited by Christopher Morris : 07-26-2015 at 10:03 PM.