CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: We're making supplements for CrossFitters, and I want your opinion

Generally before and after. Especially before if I'm on IF.

However, lately I was literally drinking 5-6 a day to lean out quickly. Then I ran out of protein powder and got broke. I might try to do it again next week since I ate like crap for awhile and gained 7lbs from 168 to 175. I doubt I can get near 152 in 2 weeks or even scratch up funds for a singlet, USAW membership but I might try to crunch some numbers and try.

It was a bit extreme but very doable. 1 in the morning upon waking up, 1 at the middle of work. 1 before and after workout, 1 for dinner and 1 before sleep. Sometimes I skipped the last one and ate some meat instead. Drastically leaned out probably it was so low carb though each shake had 3 or 7g of carbs per shake depending which powder I used. As well, that's a crap load of whey in your body so it's quite anabolic. For someone with about 150lbs of LBM, that's nearly 200g of protein a day. 6x30+some eggs or bacon.

But again, that's not something I normally would do but just opted to try and lean out quickly. I decided to focus on leaning out and honestly wasn't training much or hard due to time (coaching hours and gym availability).

And man have I enjoyed eating solid food since. I craved even a piece of fruit or anything solid during that stint about a month long. I slacked on weekends at company parties or on dates with the gf though but generally only on Fri/Sat.

If I do it again, the last shake before sleep will be casein as whey digests within 2 hours and I'd be sleeping 8. Or just eat some meat instead.

While, ideally I would prefer not to do deal with artificial sweetners, I don't mind them. Sometimes, they are too sweet I have found with some products. The hard thing is getting people to buy it if it tastes like chalk. But I already taste and breathe chalk enough after being in gym for 12 years.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Right after a WOD is the worst time???

Lol, oh man... I love it when people who are ignorant have an opinion...
Hey speaking of which (not related to him), I just bought some Nitrean+ which is awesome, by the way. How often/how many scoops are you suggesting your CrossFitters intake daily? I usually just do 1 scoop post-WOD but I have contemplated going with 1 pre/1 post or 2 post.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
Hey speaking of which (not related to him), I just bought some Nitrean+ which is awesome, by the way. How often/how many scoops are you suggesting your CrossFitters intake daily? I usually just do 1 scoop post-WOD but I have contemplated going with 1 pre/1 post or 2 post.
Thank you . Either what you just proposed switching to, or 2 scoops post. If you don't eat within 3 hours or so of bed I would do 1 more scoop right before bed.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Right after a WOD is the worst time???

Lol, oh man... I love it when people who are ignorant have an opinion...
Yeah strange. I don't know his rationale but his website is geared for endurance athletes, and no surprise, he started Crossfit Endurance.
So perhaps he was referring after an endurance workout, where a lower-protein higher-carb shake is appropriate?

In any event, what's interesting to me is that while it's true that MPS is shown to be maximum following ingestion of protein after a resistance workout, it hasn't been demonstrated that this builds more lean mass than simply getting enough protein over the course of the day. We're all like paranoid about not getting a dose within an hour or two, but the body tends to even these things out based on its needs....it seems to me. Still, I tend to want to force the issue.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Yeah strange. I don't know his rationale but his website is geared for endurance athletes, and no surprise, he started Crossfit Endurance.
So perhaps he was referring after an endurance workout, where a lower-protein higher-carb shake is appropriate?

In any event, what's interesting to me is that while it's true that MPS is shown to be maximum following ingestion of protein after a resistance workout, it hasn't been demonstrated that this builds more lean mass than simply getting enough protein over the course of the day. We're all like paranoid about not getting a dose within an hour or two, but the body tends to even these things out based on its needs....it seems to me. Still, I tend to want to force the issue.
Larry, the idea of consuming nutrients PWO is simply that it helps to optimize recovery. Nothing more, nothing less.

As an endurance athlete you certainly want a lot more carbs than a strength athlete needs, but to say a shake PWO is the worst time, or whatever he said, makes ZERO sense based upon anything I have ever read on the topic (and no, I don't just read website stuff, I am talking about legitimate studies and scientific discourse).
Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #26
PaulEwing

Profile:

I'd personally like to see a simple pre-workout. I'm not paleo and I don't mind the pinch of artificial flavoring in my whey, but every single pre-workout I see advertised and sold at GNC has a ridiculous amount of caffeine and B vitamins. I'd like to see a pre-workout with no caffeine, a smaller dose of B vitamins, and some natural ingredients that actually sit well with my stomach and make me feel comfortable and hydrated for a workout, rather than an absurd amount of stimulants that seem to have dominated the world of lifting. I haven't bothered with pre-workouts since I switched to CrossFit from lifting because I don't need the stimulants for shorter workouts; they were only useful when I'd be at the gym for 2 sessions.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Sounds like you just need a B-vitamin and some ginseng and ginko bilboa.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #28
Richard A. Lopez

Profile:

Emery comes from fat and carbs..
Olive oil
whey
banana
1/2 culture of oats
Not the best tasting... but man up and drink!
Old 08-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #29
Max Savin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulEwing View Post
I'd personally like to see a simple pre-workout. I'm not paleo and I don't mind the pinch of artificial flavoring in my whey, but every single pre-workout I see advertised and sold at GNC has a ridiculous amount of caffeine and B vitamins. I'd like to see a pre-workout with no caffeine, a smaller dose of B vitamins, and some natural ingredients that actually sit well with my stomach and make me feel comfortable and hydrated for a workout, rather than an absurd amount of stimulants that seem to have dominated the world of lifting. I haven't bothered with pre-workouts since I switched to CrossFit from lifting because I don't need the stimulants for shorter workouts; they were only useful when I'd be at the gym for 2 sessions.
I hear that - and I think you're going to like what I have coming because it will be a pre-workout. I would love to give some samples away on here if the admins permit (that is, once the product is finished manufacturing).

Everyone else - thank you for your input! I did find it unusual that some people are against whey after WOD, and am curious to learn more about that decision.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #30
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Harres View Post
To all on this thread, you may want to search Brian McKenzie's twitter feed. A few 4-5 months ago, he posted a link to an article about the latest on how,when,where,where,what and supplements like protein shakes.

Pretty eye-opening. Long story short, drink 2 shakes per day and it doesn't matter when (but right after a WOD is probably the worst time.)

- Bare Hands
Data around protein absorption rates often gets bandied round here, for example "whey absorbs at ~10g/hour". If so, a typical protein shake serving taken an hour before training should see you right through the PWO 'window' (i.e. up to 60 mins PWO).

Best thing would be to try not having a PWO for a couple months then a couple months with a PWO and see what happens. I don't think it would be inherently the best or worst thing to have a PWO.