CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #41
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: Proposed supplement plan

The OP was clear in wanting info from like minds, so I dont really want to get into it, but cant help it. I hate my own arrogance/sarcasm when I say "fake food party" too. My bad.

I've been following a natural diet since age 25, way before this 'paleo' philosophy. Before 25, I took it all. Yes, they work in the world of athletics, the question is cost (not $$, but cost on the body). Its hard for me to believe a chemists can analyze and break down sub atomic particles enough to mimic and create me a nutrient that is better suited for me than a whole food. Its also difficult to overconsume natural foods to the point of creating disorders (though possible Im sure). Eric, the philosphy of overconsuming just in case the body needs it, I feel is bordering dangerous. Even vitamin C is dangerous if over consumed, but ever hear about it coming from too many oranges, no, the problems from over the counter. You all are admitting being lazy and folding to convenience. Also, there's no need to consume a shake the second your last weight hits the floor. There is a few hour window where your nutrient replacement is still 'optimal'.

Am I going to get in a ProFootball locker room and spit off how they should watch their intake of supplements. Hell no (they'd kick my ***), cause there's jobs at stake for being bigger, stronger, faster. But here, where most of us are not "pro" anything, are consuming these things they have no idea of the sources. The goal of health, should override the goal of 10 more lbs on a backsquat, for most of us not involved with pro sports. So I'll have no part in fermented plant material or hog's hair from China (if thats actually where some cheap BCAAs come from).

Lastly, its easy to disregard a layman, and most of this nutrition section is filled with, "whats your proof, where'd you here that, etc..." Even when Daryl provides studies from actual sports journals, you all still disregard?? Much love. Im sorry OP.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #42
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Good post, but the bottom line is that there's a fundamental difference in philosophy at play. I say this because I WOULD sacrifice some health for certain milestones. For example, if I could get a guaranteed 650lb raw squat for the price of knee or hip pain later in life then I choose the squat. You only have one chance at things like that. You can't decide at age 60 you want to hit that goal...you can only ponder what might have been. Your philosophy is clearly more in tune with nature and more purely health oriented. All in all, I think that is the whole point of boards like this. People only need to read and decide what is closer to their own life philosophy....

As for the studies, I have long known that Creatine doesn't work for everyone and that not every supplement performs as claimed. However, there have been megatons of studies that largely prove the effectiveness of Creatine for most people. Any one of us could find studies of the pro or con variety for any supp....that's why I chose not to address that part of the argument.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #43
Chris Ranucci

Profile:

As the OP, I am fine with this conversation. Honestly, I have a solid plan that I am sticking with.

As for the rest of the conversations, with a topic such as nutrition that most people take so personally, I would be surprised if opinions didn't differ. I guess the appropriate response is to each his own. I am almost 35 years old. I will take what little help I can get.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #44
John C Corona

Profile:

Right on Eric, I always like your posts. I dont know why I feel everyone should feel as I do (most of us are probably guilty of that to a degree). To downplay others goals just cause we aren't "professional" is no good either. My philosophy has been shaped by things out of my control. One word: cancer. Not to suggest these supplements cause cancer, its almost undebatable that fruits and vegetables are known to fight it. Knee pain sux, but once that unstopable cell proliferation starts, we are eff'd. So maybe some people need more fruits and veggies, while I might need more creatine, before I disappear behind a pole.

I think its funny how just mentioning a 650lb raw squat can prove a point.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #45
Jesse Emers

Profile:
Wink Re: Proposed supplement plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
You suggested in another thread that 2 apples was too much at dinner (when that was his only 2 pieces of fruit all day), and only eat 1 apple post workout. Its transparent you have your nutrient intake/priorities a little off. That might be why you are experiencing positive feedback from supplements. At $25 / month in BCAAs, your source might be questionable too. Carry on with the fake food party.
John my suggestion was to fine tune a diet plan in which he specifically asked for help. Thank you for reminding me why I stopped posting outside of the workout log threads. I am wrong, you are correct, and my diet is off
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #46
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Emers View Post
John my suggestion was to fine tune a diet plan in which he specifically asked for help. Thank you for reminding me why I stopped posting outside of the workout log threads. I am wrong, you are correct, and my diet is off
awe man, I didnt want to deter you from future posts here, being that your diet is perfect. Unfortunately, I know exactly how you feel.

Is it a stretch to think that positive results from supplements are due to you being lacking in some nutrients before taking them? Do you know how your BCAAs are synthesized, or where they come from? Do you know if they raise GI levels (or lower them)? Did you look for natural sources instead of synthetic versions of the AA's? These questions are for eveyone. Chris from AtLarge is probably the only one that knows how this s**t is made. If you did the research, dont expect a pat on the back, cause thats what you (we all) should do before consuming a supplement. Am I the only one who saw Bigger, Stronger, Faster?

I know you didnt offer advice, just to get interrogated back. I could've asked the questions better, sure. Forum rules state no sex stuff, politics, or religion. Nutrition is a very close 4th in polarizing people. So dont run away, talk back. Just know someone might ask you why 'you think' 1 apple will make or break someones 3000 cal/day diet.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #47
Graeme Moore

Profile:

I'm not ragging anyone's choices. I just find it amusing that people think this stuff makes any difference at the weekend warrior level, when men 75-100 years ago were a hell of a lot stronger than now and capable of feats that would pummel most of us into oblivion. And they did it on 'iron pills', food and sleep. To paraphrase Rip: supplements are masturbation. Take them if you want, but don't argue you're making anyone cum but yourself.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #48
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Graeme, you're pretty right there. If all you are gonna be is a weekend warrior (aka regular crossfitter) or just a regular joe, it doesn't make a lot of sense to get big into supplementation.

If you want performance or to get bigger, stronger, faster...well then after all your bases are covered, supplements may be a boon.

I would wager that the general man a 100 years ago was stronger than the general man but some of the athletes nowadays might be at the pinnacle peak of human strength and speed as for the historical record. Note, Homo Neanderthalensis and other Homo species are not the modern Humans we are talking about.

And please don't give me some BS about Hunter Gatherers were stronger and faster than humans nowadays. Yeah, they might have ridiculous endurance and good strength but they still would not hold their own to some of our current athletes.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #49
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
I'm not ragging anyone's choices. I just find it amusing that people think this stuff makes any difference at the weekend warrior level, when men 75-100 years ago were a hell of a lot stronger than now and capable of feats that would pummel most of us into oblivion. And they did it on 'iron pills', food and sleep. To paraphrase Rip: supplements are masturbation. Take them if you want, but don't argue you're making anyone cum but yourself.
Really? What do you base that on (the men 75-100 years ago being stronger etc.)?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #50
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
Pint of milk?

Or whey?

I just can't justify the cost of BCAAs when there's nothing but anecdotal evidence that suggests they're more effective than a normal diet. If I ever got to the point where I was hammering my body to the point where I needed to be buying this stuff to recover or feel less pain, then I'd re-evaluate my training first.

I'm glad it's working for you though.
I'm curious, what are your lifts and other training accomplishments? The strength of your opinions might lead one to believe you are quite the accomplished trainee. Is that so?