CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
Chris Ranucci

Profile:
Re: Proposed supplement plan

Funny how advice is all over the place. I can tell you that since I have started the BCAAs and the Creatine, I feel stronger. I am increasing my PR weight on Olympic lifts faster than when I wasn't taking anything.

So from the advice so far, I think that I will stick with what I have, but take your suggestions and try AtLarge BCAAs when I run out of the Chain'd Out stuff. I also will look into adding carbs to my shake. Excellent idea that I have overlooked. Are there whey protein powders pre-loaded with carbs?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Luke Davidson

Profile:

A good whey protein will have most of the BCAAs you need. I get most benefit out of a pre-workout/post workout stack (like MuscleTech Neurocore/Myobuild) rather than from a straight BCAA supp.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ranucci View Post
Funny how advice is all over the place. I can tell you that since I have started the BCAAs and the Creatine, I feel stronger. I am increasing my PR weight on Olympic lifts faster than when I wasn't taking anything.
Could be that you are getting better with your technique also. Careful with those claims from oly lifting.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
Chris Ranucci

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Could be that you are getting better with your technique also. Careful with those claims from oly lifting.
Could be, but I don't attribute the decrease in muscle soreness to form. Either way, I get it. Some don't believe in supplements, some do. I am seeking some advice from those that are of like mind to me and think that a Crossfitter could benefit from supplements. I respect those of you that feel that supplements are throwing money in the garbage, but at this time, I don't agree.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Jason Rahm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
...the fruit punch flavored BCAA+ by AtLargeNutrition is by far the best tasting and easiest mixing one I've used...
I'll 2nd this. I've tried the Orange and Fruit Punch from AtLarge and like them both. The Punch definitely tastes sweeter to me, but the Orange is good as well.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Could be, but I don't attribute the decrease in muscle soreness to form. Either way, I get it. Some don't believe in supplements, some do. I am seeking some advice from those that are of like mind to me and think that a Crossfitter could benefit from supplements. I respect those of you that feel that supplements are throwing money in the garbage, but at this time, I don't agree.
It could also be your body adjusting to the work of these lifts that keeps you from getting sore. Just another thing to think about.

Personally I believe in many supplements, and have taken my fair share. In NO way was I trying to say anything else.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
James McLeod

Profile:

I know that taking BCAA's pre/during/post workout and creatine post WO for me has helped greatly with recovery, more then just eating real food. I would personally keep taking the BCAA and creatine.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #18
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
I can tell you that since I have started the BCAAs and the Creatine, I feel stronger. I am increasing my PR weight on Olympic lifts faster than when I wasn't taking anything.
The placebo effect is a wonderful thing but there is no real evidence to support the use of BCAA supplements because, as I said before, you get all you need from food.

Exercise Physiology, Energy, Nutrition and Human Performance (6th ed.) by McArdle, Katch & Katch (p. 572 - 573) -

"Research on healthy subjects does not provide convincing evidence for an ergogenic effect of a generlized regular intake of amino acid supplements above the recommended protein intake on hormone secretion, training responsiveness, or exercise performance. In studies with appropriate design and statistical analysis, oral supplements of arginine, lysine, ornithine, tyrosine, and other amino acids, either singly or in combination, produced no effect on GH levels, insulin secretion, diverse measures of anaerobic power, or all-out running performance at VO2 max. Elite junior weightlifters who regularly supplemented with all 20 amino acids did not improve physical performance of change resting levels of testosterone, cortisol, or GH. Thus regular intake of amino acids in the quantities recommended in commercial supplements does not benefit the hormonal profile, body composition and muscle size, or exercise performance. Additionally, indiscriminate consumption of amino acid supplements at dosages considered pharmacologic rather than nutritional raises the possibility of direct toxic effects or the creation of an amino acid imbalance."

Essentials of Human Nutrition (3rd edition), Chapter 33.1.3; Achieving protein needs. (p. 491) -

"Athletes undertaking recreational or light training activities will meet their protein needs within population RDI's. However, the need for an increased protein intake for heavily training athletes, both endurance and strength training, is still debated. The finding of the 2003 IOC consensus is that evidence for increased protein needs for athletes habituated to heavy training is weak. However, the discussion may be unnecessary since calculations of any potential increases in protein need arrive at a figure of 1.2-1.6g/kgBM/d for both strength and endurance athletes. Such intakes can generally be met within the increased energy allowances that accompany training; indeed dietary surveys show that most athletes report protein intakes within or above these goals. Athletes at risk of protein intakes below this range are those who restrict energy to lose weight - for example, male athletes in weight division sports and weight conscious females. Although strength-training athletes may eat large amounts of protein rich foods or buy expensive protein supplements, this is considered unnecessary."

From the Position Statement of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and Athletic Performance. -

"Protein.
Protein metabolism during and after exercise is affected by sex, age, intensity, duration, and type of exercise, energy intake, and carbohydrate availability. More detailed reviews of these factors and their relationship to protein metabolism and needs of active individuals can be found elsewhere (30,31). The current recommended dietary allowance (RDA) is 0.8 gkg-1 body weight and the acceptable macronutrient distribution range (AMDR) for protein intake for adults older than 18 yr is 10%-35% of total calories (15). Because there is not a strong body of evidence documenting that additional dietary protein is needed by healthy adults who undertake endurance or resistance exercise, the current DRI for protein and amino acids does not specifically recognize the unique needs of routinely active individuals and competitive athletes. However, recommending protein intakes in excess of the RDA to maintain optimum physical performance is commonly done in practice."

"Protein and amino acid supplements.
High-protein diets have been popular throughout history. Although earlier investigations in this area involved supplementation with individual amino acids (37,38), more recent work has shown that intact high-quality proteins such as whey, casein, or soy are effectively used for the maintenance, repair, and synthesis of skeletal muscle proteins in response to training (39). Protein or amino acids consumed near strength and endurance exercise can enhance maintenance of, and net gains in, skeletal muscle (39,40). Because protein or amino acid supplementation has not been shown to positively impact athletic performance (41,42), recommendations regarding protein supplementation are conservative and directed primarily at optimizing the training response to and the recovery period after exercise."

From the AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet: Protein. -

"Generally, athletes can obtain all the protein they require from a good mixed diet. Occasionally, an athlete may require a supplement when a practical way to consume sufficient food cannot be found. Many protein supplements are very expensive due primarily to the amount of marketing that accompanies products and the processing required to extract the protein from cow’s milk. They tend to provide very large amounts of protein and little other nutrients. There is no need for the amount of protein provided by many supplements and there is certainly no justification for the extra cost."

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 08-09-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #19
John C Corona

Profile:

Unfortunately Darryl, people are not going to learn, what they dont want to know. But I always appreciate the info you post, possibly cause "I" dont want to learn the converse.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #20
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Thanks Darryl, great info as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Protein or amino acids consumed near strength and endurance exercise can enhance maintenance of, and net gains in, skeletal muscle (39,40). Because protein or amino acid supplementation has not been shown to positively impact athletic performance (41,42), recommendations regarding protein supplementation are conservative and directed primarily at optimizing the training response to and the recovery period after exercise."[/i]
So there's evidence that protein consumed around training is beneficial, though this is hardly controversial. There's also no suggestion this is better served through expensive BCAAs rather than an egg or pint of milk.

Well said, John C.