CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Jack Yee

Profile:
Power Jerking over splitting

How many out there perfer powering over splitting. I've just changed to power jerking. More aggressive and more weight over my head now. Any others?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Jason Peacock

Profile:
Re: Power Jerking over splitting

I'd be curious why you're doing better, when both split jerk and normal ("power?") jerks have the same dip & hip drive.

Perhaps you're more comfortable with your feet landing in a squat stance rather than a lunge, and as a result you're able to be more aggressive?

I do both, generally switching from normal jerk to a split jerk as the weight gets heavier and I find myself dropping lower to catch the weight.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
I'd be curious why you're doing better, when both split jerk and normal ("power?") jerks have the same dip & hip drive.

Perhaps you're more comfortable with your feet landing in a squat stance rather than a lunge, and as a result you're able to be more aggressive?

I do both, generally switching from normal jerk to a split jerk as the weight gets heavier and I find myself dropping lower to catch the weight.
What he said!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Graeme Moore

Profile:

I also prefer to power jerk (I do call it that, just what my Oly coach called it) though like Jason said, it's easier to go lower with the split as flexibility is less of an issue there.

For me, I think it's just less to think about if I'm not splitting so I can really attack the bar, plus I just feel more solid if I catch in a squat as that's where I spend a lot of time anyway!

I don't C&J enough to get so heavy that I'd need to split.

EDIT: Paul - just noticed your location; I actually own a CrossFit Kitchener t-shirt but I've got absolutely no idea why! It just turned up in my draw one day! Isn't that the weirdest sh*t?!

Last edited by Graeme Moore : 07-28-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
I also prefer to power jerk (I do call it that, just what my Oly coach called it) though like Jason said, it's easier to go lower with the split as flexibility is less of an issue there.

For me, I think it's just less to think about if I'm not splitting so I can really attack the bar, plus I just feel more solid if I catch in a squat as that's where I spend a lot of time anyway!

I don't C&J enough to get so heavy that I'd need to split.

EDIT: Paul - just noticed your location; I actually own a CrossFit Kitchener t-shirt but I've got absolutely no idea why! It just turned up in my draw one day! Isn't that the weirdest sh*t?!
Hah well there's got to be a reason considering you aren't exactly close to this area yourself. Ever venture overseas for something? I don't go to crossfit kitchener but I do know it's not the biggest of crossfit affiliates.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Jack Yee

Profile:

I think the reason I like powerking jerking is because of the more stable landing. I just never felt comfortable splitting. this doesn't mean I will give up the split all entirely.

my coach thinks that the power jerk will eventually help me down the road so when I do want to split again.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
James Hanley

Profile:

If you're more "comfortable" power jerking, it just means you need to spent more time split jerking
Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hanley View Post
If you're more "comfortable" power jerking, it just means you need to spent more time split jerking
Yes, this! Train your weaknesses If you noticed in last Games they required not only that you do a split jerk, but that you had to alternate your feet for each split - even that small change will mess up lots of people.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Jack Yee

Profile:

Great advice! I will! Thanks all for responding!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Victor French View Post
Hah well there's got to be a reason considering you aren't exactly close to this area yourself. Ever venture overseas for something? I don't go to crossfit kitchener but I do know it's not the biggest of crossfit affiliates.
Well, I've been overseas but nowhere near you. I can only imagine I've picked it up at a gym by accident and my wife's washed it. Random!