CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Is Vomiting Really Okay?

Come to think of it, I mistakingly associated vomiting with those hangovers.

I still remember how I felt post vomit and it was not great time afterwards. Your throat will still be damaged because of the acid. People with GERD know this well.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Salts View Post

In fact, today's WOD started with wallball shots. I did five shots, remembered how much I hate these (almost as much as burpees) and counted them out five at a time. We had to do 45 of each. It took forever for me to get through those.

Same thing at the end with 45 burpees. My first thought was, "I have no core for these." I was seriously focused on what I didn't have/couldn't do, so I was really doing reps between breaks rather than breaks between reps. It was when the coach came up to me and told me to knock them out that I told him I didn't want to push myself to vomiting.
Having problems with doing 5 consecutive wallballs means you probably need to get stronger with squats and other things that require powerful hip and knee extension...cleans, thrusters, KB swings, etc. Or your med ball was too heavy for your current level.

Having problems with doing a lot of wallballs (i.e. 30+) is probably more of a conditioning thing.

Realistically, you should be able to do 45 wallballs in sets of ~15-20...if you're setting the ball down every 5 reps something is going wrong.

Burpees aren't really a core exercise, they're just conditioning. So the same things you do to improve metabolic conditioning in general will help your burpees.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Salts View Post
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, I'm ridiculously slow. I'm also pretty hard on myself in that I feel I should be performing at a higher level than I am. During today's WOD, I vented my frustrations that everyone else was finishing 15 minutes ahead of me. (Yeah, yeah. It's not a competition. But I'd at least like to keep up.)

The CF instructor told me that my form for lifting is excellent and that there was no need to pick up pace there for right now. He did tell me that when it comes to cardio (burpees, box jumps, etc), that's where I need to push myself. When I told him I was afraid of throwing up, he basically said throwing up was okay because it meant I was building a tolerance to lactic acid. (At least that's the message I got.) He knew what he was trying to say but was having a hard time finding a way explain it to me.

The way I see it, if you're vomiting, your body is telling you to stop in the only way it can without permanent injury. Period. I came close to throwing up once and swore I'd never do it again.

I know some of you feel it's okay to do it once in a while, while others are more "gung ho" about it. But is it the lactic acid? If so, how? What's going on that I have to push through the vomiting... and how will that help my performance in the end?

Google has been little to no help.
I don't know what everyone else has said, but my 2 cents is that first, everyone is unique. Some vomit much more easily than others. Second, do you eat within an hour or two of training? In other words, it surprises me that you feel like you can so easily vomit from exercise. I am probably on the other end of the spectrum from you, but I have done some pretty crazy stuff with training and NEVER vomited or even come close.

Anyway, unless you want to compete in CrossFit push yourself within the confines of what you are comfortable with.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I try to avoid vomiting whenever possible. Usually this entails stopping an activity when I feel like chucking is imminent. I'm pretty fit (not a fire-breather, but pretty fit), so I'm cool with that. I've worked out pretty hard and haven't yakked.

Although, come to think of it...maybe lack of chucking is the reason why my squat is so weak...
Old 07-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Steve Shalloway

Profile:

I have probably thrown up 5 time during/after a workout in my life. All but one of those were following track practice in H.S. I would finish sprints and go directly to the high jump mat to lay down and catch my breath. I quickly learned that at least for me after a workout I need to keep moving and can't sit/lay down if I don't want to get sick. We have all seen people sprawled out on the floor post-workout (me too briefly) I personally think that's a quick way to upset your stomach.

The one time I met pukie during a CF WOD was when I drank a protein shake WAY too close to the start of class. For me that's the biggest thing to not feeling sick to my stomach, or just feeling like I have a lump in my gut and can't quite catch my breath. If you're doing a METCON heavy workout make sure you have plenty of time between your last meal and your WOD.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

The urge to vomit shouldn't be an issue if you make progress on your fitness/stamina. I've found that every time I've had the urge to vomit after/during a WOD was when I was in relatively poor shape cardio-wise. Just keep improving your fitness and that urge will likely be gone in the next few weeks, I'd think.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Jason Bekolay

Profile:

I've felt close to puking (and gagged/heaved a bit) because my throat was too dry. The obvious fix of water solves that problem.

No one has "puking" in their training goals, so it isn't something to aspire to. However, competitive athletes do need to know how to push their bodies to the limit, and discovering that limit may involve puking sometimes.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Note. I have experienced a high frequency of vomiting and dry heaves (mostly the latter) while ingesting a preworkout or caffeine prior. Nowadays, I generally make sure to never do before any metabolic work, especially over that 12m range into the 15 and towards 25-3x.

Caffeine does allow you to push harder and well...here comes pukie.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #19
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
...your body goes into fight or flight and chooses just to empty your stomach contents instead of fighting to deal with the stress your body is going through and digestion.
^^ This.

Watched a documentary on Usain Bolt last night and he was actually inducing vomiting after running some 200m repeats. It was just a snapshot, and he may have already been vomiting and I'm pretty sure that it won't be a pre-planned part of his program, but I think it shows that everyone is susceptible if training at intensity and it won't harm your performance.

If it's happening every day though there's something wrong.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Here's an article I downloaded quite a while back that I share with my members who have the same concern. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EXERCISE INDUCED NAUSEA AND VOMITING.pdf (47.2 KB, 566 views)