CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Question on crossfit box etiquette

I think the more important question is one of Box culture.

Do they emphasize fundamental and technique?

Do they have enough trainers for their class sizes?

Are the trainers preaching full range of motion?

I have a member who is so competitive when the clock starts his brain almost turns off. He says over and over he is going to work on full range of motion. He is getting a little better, very slowly. You know what is happening? He is falling behind the members who use full range of motion. They are improving faster then him. Everyone in our gym knows not to worry about his time when there are range of motion issues. On the other hand when he is fast on a rower his score is legit.

Judged competition always separates the gyms/athletes. I require correct technique. If you look at my members bench mark times they are not very impressive, yet for some reason when we go to judged competitions we are very competitive and many of those supposedly faster then us can't keep up with a judge watching......

If the gym culture is good then don't worry about the few. If the gym culture is questionable you may want to shop around. If you want to really know how you are doing enter judged competitions.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

A loaded question/issue for sure. When just starting out, I checked my ego at the door (still do!) and I appreciated someone with experience giving me some advice. I try to do the same but always tell them to "check with the coach"...we have some brand new people and I see them working hard and sometimes struggling but everyone was there at one point or another, so I encourage them and try to help if possible or will let a coach know to go check with them...I don't see the harm in doing that.

Someone who purposely shaves reps or let's their form go to get a good time does not want your help...so it is what it is. I worry about myself mainly in those situations. I know I want my times/scores to be with good form and legit.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Phil Griffin

Profile:

This is a tricky situation. The best boxes are those that require full ROM (or if it's not possible continually work towards it) and have a culture of not cutting reps. When I was first starting, I dropped into a box that was doing squat cleans. I kept power cleaning it, or at least not squatting as far as I could. The trainer mentioned my lack of depth a few times during the workout, but I continued to power clean for reasons I can no longer understand. My time was written down without the "Rx" note after the time. The trainer just simply said to me "sorry, too many power cleans". At the time that frustrated me a bit, but looking back the trainer handled it perfectly.

I agree with everyone who said worry about yourself. But.....one of the main things that helps me push myself to the level of exertion necessary to make great gains is the competitive aspect of group WODs. If you're not competing on level ground (or mat...) then the competition aspect and therefore the intensity is diminished. I've dropped into 18 or so boxes, and there was only one where cutting reps was rampant. By far the worst experience I had at any box.

I'd say the best way for you to address it would be a private chat with the head trainer.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Martin Huynh

Profile:

Snitches get stitches.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Huynh View Post
Snitches get stitches.
That cracked me up! To me, it's like seeing someone cheat on their homework, it doesn't affect your score one bit. Would your Fran time be better if he did full range pushups? Would it help your deadlift if someone no repped him a few times?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #16
Steven Mooso

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Huynh View Post
Snitches get stitches.

Too Funny !!....Thanks for all the advise...I've bit my tongue this long, might as well keep doing it...
Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #17
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mooso View Post
But don't we all have a competitive side to us that wants to get a better time than the person next to us?!?
Sure, but don't compare yourself to the guy taking all the shortcuts. Compete with yourself, keep your own standards consistent and watch the improvement. If you need to compare with somebody, then find someone with a similar outlook and similar goals.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #18
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mooso View Post
I have been cross fitting for about 4months now and try to perform the best form that I can during each wod, no matter what the time I get...I feel, that if your not going to do it correctly, why bother...Just scale it so u can do it correctly is my thinking...
And so the irony is you've already won.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
Charles Golden

Profile:

Every box has guys who "short" reps in an effort to better their times, at least I know my box does. Everyone knows who they are and we take that into account when looking/comparing their scores. One of the guys has even earned the nickname "Shorty" for that very reason. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to bother him that everyone knows and even jokes about him "shorting" reps. Bottom line is everyone is there for different reasons, you gotta accept that and focus on yourself.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Mike Pulskamp

Profile:

Everybody here makes good points.
One thing I like to do it ask Coach about MY form in this situation.

"Should I be holding in a tight plank, and going all the way down or even lifting my hands on these reps?"

Do it loud enough that Shorty can hear, then let it slide... If he picks up on it you have helped, if not no sweat.