CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Christopher C Brophy

Profile:

Is it more important to go deeper on the squat clean or use more weight and do not go down as low....On my 1 rep max tonight I felt like I did not go low enough but I was still able to perform the movement...if I lower the weight then my 1 max turns into 3 reps...

Also, why is the flat bench with barbells or dumbbells never used in the wods? Is it not considered a fundamental movement?

Thanks

Chris
Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Chris, IMO go deep. *** to ankles.

Why is it "never" used? Well...it is actually. Check "Linda" (AKA 3 bars of death). And there have been other examples as well.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Guest2

Profile:

bench pressing is used pretty rarely, but it shows up from time to time. there are some serious problems created by being pressed against the bench (prevents normal scapular movement) - and ask any gymnastics coach, and he'll tell you the bench press is the number one enemy of shoulder flexibility.

if you develop strong handstand push-ups, standing press, ring dips, etc., i promise you'll be able to drop in on a bench press and bang out some impressive numbers. in short, there are better ways to develop the same pushing strength that will not only not compromise you in other respects, but will have greater multidimensional effects.

if you have to bench for football combines or something, by all means, practice the movement - but be super conscious of what's going on and make the maintenance and/or improvement of your shoulder flexibility a serious pursuit.

(Message edited by gregeverett on December 21, 2005)
Old 12-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
Andy Shirley

Profile:
"the bench press is the number one enemy of shoulder flexibility"

Quoted for reinforcement. After years of the typical gym-rat pursuit of the benchpress, and having now switched to CF and more functional fitness, my shoulders still have a long way to go to get the flexibility needed.

There are two girls with benching, Lynne(BW BP + max pullups x 5 rounds) and Linda(three bars of death).
Old 12-22-2005, 07:10 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Is it not considered a fundamental movement?

Popular, yes. Fundamental? Well, think of real-life situations where your back is up against a solid surface and you need to push something heavy off of you. If you think about it, it's usually in a compromised position. Like, you're playing football, you just got flattened like a pancake and you are at the bottom of the pile. In real life, if you are in that position you probably just screwed yourself up badly.

and ask any gymnastics coach, and he'll tell you the bench press is the number one enemy of shoulder flexibility.

Most O-lift coaches will say the same thing.

My chiropractor said he did a booming business from working on bench press shoulders. And in response to those who don't do the Olympic lifts because they think they are dangerous, the bench press is by far much more dangerous. Besides annoying injuries like pec tears, rotator cuff injuries, elbow problems, broken ribs, etc. please note that the bench press has killed people. Few other movements in the gym can make that claim.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I'm not sure that the "you probably just screwed yourself" argument holds up as a reason/justification for NOT doing BP. After all...CF is kind of all about training for when things get screwed up (particulaly for our LEO/mil folks).

The question really is "are there other exercises that are better". I think the answer is yes. Pushups (of varying flavors). HSPUs and ring dips (as Greg E. observed). Etc.

And as Greg, Andy and Lincoln pointed out, the BP seems to have some not-very-desirable side effects. IMO, there are better exercises to invest time on.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
The bench press might not be the most functional movement you can do, but if done properly it certainly won't hurt. Key word is "properly."
Old 12-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Note to my personal history: I have also had shoulder surgery for an arthritic AC joint(Mumford distal claviculectomy). This injury is most often seen in...you guessed it heavy benchers.
I only had this operation done because the doc was going in to fix a torn labrum(from rugby injury). Prior to the torn labrum/ac joint surgery, I put a PR of 430 raw, with a pause, spotted and judged by a former IPF world silver medalist(60kg: Sq 237.5 BP 147.5 DL 250.0 total 635.0) He was crazy strong.
I also trained with this guy, so my form was impeccable.
Haven't gone much over a BW bench since surgery. And don't plan to. I'm a little over 1 year post-op now.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:42 AM   #9
Andy Shirley

Profile:
http://ajsm.highwire.org/cgi/content/full/26/2/189

Nice article on my surgery. Well not "my" surgery. I'm gonna do some research tonight at work on shoulder problems in Oly/overhead lifting.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
James Falkner

Profile:
How often, in real world circumstances, will you find yourself on a bench stuck under a bar and have to bench it off yourself? Usually you're pinned under a burning log on the ground with no elbow clearance underneath the plane that is formed by your back. good luck getting the same leverage you can get with a gym-style bench press :-)

(hmm.. as an aside.. are there any staple CF movements that will aid in getting you out from under a burning log that is heavier than your first car?)