CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
David Schneider

Profile:
Any Elite in Lansing, MI?

Good day to the elite,

Just wondering if any ladies or gentlemen Crossfit in Lansing, MI. I have just started in mid March and I love it. I don't seem to see many other people around town that share my enthusiasm.

Just wondering...

Viva-
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Carl Pawluk

Profile:
Re: Any Elite in Lansing, MI?

I'm in. There are a few Lansing area folks on the discussion board. I don't think any of us train at the same gyms though. I've converted about 3 co-workers so far. I work-out at the Y in DeWitt. What about you?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
David Schneider

Profile:

Good to hear Carl, nice to see a local...

Nice job on the conversion of co-workers. I am finding it very difficult to get people to even listen to me let alone give it a shot. Once I mention training and intense and different in the same sentence it's like a bunch of kids being forced on vegetables or something, it's weird.

I work out at my garage gym that I have amassed over the last couple of years. I orginally lost all my weight and worked out at the M.A.C. in East Lansing. I don't know if your'e familiar with that place but it's awesome, it has everything but it's very expensive, A bunch of doctors and lawyers.

Your'e the first native I have seen on this board, granted I am new but I'm glad there is some Crossfitting going on in mid-Michigan.

-David
Old 04-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Carl Pawluk

Profile:

The MAC. Funny. I've worked out there for years. I usually ended up playing so much basketball that I was too tired to hit the weights though. Now that I'm a family guy, the MAC is just too much money. I live a mile from the Y, so it's easy to get a workout in.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
David Schneider

Profile:

Yeah, I usually went to the MAC by myself so I really didn't do anything but lift weights, no fun playing Basketball by yourself in front of everyone else.

I know some other people who have left the MAC because of the cost. Like you said, with a family it can be even harder to keep up on the gym costs.
Family First!

How long have you been Crossfitting? Ever get any weird looks at the Y from running around like a headless chicken? I wish I still went to the MAC so I could confuse the crap out of everyone else with these WOD's.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Carl Pawluk

Profile:

I've been CFing for 2 months. (Sat out today due to a small spasm in my back) I was doing "Bigger,Faster,Stronger" for a couple of months before that and got bored. Yeah, I do get some weird looks at the Y at times, but the Y here isn't very busy so it's no big deal. I try to workout during the slow periods anyways. Usually either 10 am or 4:30 pm.

I'm really into CF. I swear I'm surfing this sight 3 hours a day. I just made some rings out of pvc. I was hoping I'd find some place at home to hang them, but I haven't found that place yet. I made a 20 lb ball the other day too.

As far as the workouts go I scale most of them according to the BrandX site. For most of the stuff, I'm in the "the pack" category. 6'1"/217/31 yo, so the bodyweight stuff still a struggle. When I started, I was 230 so I'm really pleased with the results so far.

My buddy from work just called me. He did the WOD "Kelly". He sounded pumped, so I think he's hooked.

Are you on the north end of Lansing? Maybe we could train together sometime.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
David Schneider

Profile:

Hey Carl, I hope your back feels better soon buddy!

You've been at it for 2 months huh? Well, you got me beat by about a month but I promise, I will catch up here very soon! I'm not familiar with the "BiggerFasterStronger" concept but it sounds interesting.

I'm big time into this miserable Crossfit stuff too. I love it. In these last few weeks I have seen more visible progress than the last six months of straight lifting. It's really amazing stuff! I just joined this site and I find myself cruising the site for hours too.

Nice job on making some of your own equipment, improvising is key. What did you use for your ball? Basketball and sand? Keep an eye out for a spot to hang those rings, it might not be where you expect but where there's a will, theres Crossfit!

Congrats on your weight loss too, that's great. I haven't ever scaled my workouts, I didn't know anything about that BrandX stuff. If there is something I couldn't do I would just use a substitute and try to work that much harder. I have a couple of 300# tires here in my garage so if I need a good met/con or cardio sub I drag those giants across the floor back and forth (Ruthless workout).

Yeah, your buddy sounds hooked. That's good, keep em' in line. I think "Kelly" was today's WOD and today was my well deserved rest day so I will be hittin' her hard tomorrow, looking forward to it.

I'm actually more towards that South side of Lansing. I live right by the South precinct, just south of downtown. But yeah, I'd like to train anytime. Like I said, I have my garage gym that has a ton of stuff in it. I open up both the overhead doors and just go nuts out there. I've got a big yard for relays and tire flipping, all sorts of good stuff. All are welcome at my gym, anytime. I need to get a sign and make my own t-shirts so we can advertise.

-David
Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Nicholas W Moose

Profile:

Hey, I just stumbled upon this thread. I don't know if anybody still checks it though. I live on the North side of Lansing and have recently purchased a membership to the Y. I have been CrossFitting for approx. 7 weeks now.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
Nathan Gates

Profile:

I've been doing Crossfit for a few months as well. I workout at the Eagle Eye up on Chandler Road.

Anyone else still around and working out?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
Joe DeGain

Profile:

Guys -
If you ever make it over to Flint let me know - I have a great garage gym with all the equipment needed....I am level II certified and Kettlebell certified. I am always looking for workout partners.
-Joe DeGain