CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Michael Horton

Profile:
industrial space for crossfit

HI -
We are working really hard to get our affiliate up and running and finding a building is proving to be harder than we thought. We found a 4000 square foot warehouse that would be awesome......but it's not heated. Does anyone else run their affiliate out of warehouse space and how well do space heaters work and.......how much does it cost to heat the place?

I've asked for previous utility bills for comparison but it has been vacant for a while and the people who used it for the last few years didn't really use it full time....so they aren't really helpful.

Any other input is welcomed!

Thanks!
Michael
Spartan CrossFit coming to East Lansing MI
Old 09-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
John Poulos

Profile:
Re: industrial space for crossfit

I'll be signing my lease this week, and I had it worked out as one of the lease provisions. Talk to the landlord and see what they'll do for you. In this market they'll make a lot of concessions to get a tenant.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Matthew Young

Profile:

Awesome, glad to see an affiliate coming to East Lansing! Had looked at moving my affiliate to EL a while back but funds were a little short! Wish you the best of luck! Please let me know when you are open and I will make a trip up!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Bob D Pratt

Profile:

Michael,
East Lansing is expensive real estate, but by now you know that.
I'm a firefighter for ELFD and a few of us have done some crossfit (but not for a while). Have you got a site yet?
There are some warehouses on Chandler Rd north of town, that will be WAY cheaper than anything in EL. There may also be some spots on the East side of Lansing (Kalamazoo St.) that might work.
feel free to contact me at
rpratt@cityofeastlansing.com when your up & running of if you have questions about the area. If you need instructors one of the Lansing Fire guys is working towards his certs.
to the area! I also have a contact that could make you a killer logo!

bob
Old 09-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Michael Horton

Profile:

Thanks Bob -

I am finding space to be more expensive than I anticipated. Still going to make it work though. I have looked in the Frandor area and yes at the industrial space over by Lake Lansing and Cedarish - by Court One! Right now I have my eye on a building just west of 127 about half a block behind Mac's bar! Hopeing to be ready to make an offer this week. I think that will be a good place for students to access and also people from both Lansing/East Lansing. I appreciate the enthusiasm! Really stoked to get it up and running. I have attached our logo as my picture! If you know of any good deals on tshirt printing, I'm struggling with that at the moment. I'll keep you posted on the status.

Michael

Click image for larger version

Name:	finished logo.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	6931
Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Jessica Chaplin

Profile:

I can't offer any advice on the facility...

I am being transferred to Lansing for 6 months from Detroit. I am an avid crossfitter and am looking for a place to workout until an affiliate is up and running. Are you guys WOD'ing anywhere? Please email me at jessica.chaplin@gmail.com if I can join in. I have some of my own equipment just looking for a space and some motivation!!!!

Jessica
Old 10-10-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
Andrew Bolliger

Profile:

We have 4,000 sq. ft. in Oregon... I know that is not as cold as MI but it is not a warm place either. Worst month in two years was about $300 to heat with one big gas forced air furnace heater in the ceiling. A programmable timer is the key! We have about 5-6 classes a day and that places only heats up for the exact time we are there and it saves you a lot of money.