CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
Mike Cheatham

Profile:
Re: Rogue "Games" Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reyes View Post
So, anybody who has used both have any input? Order goes in on Wednesday....
I have not used the new style "games box" but I have made quite a few of the typical slant style boxes and never had any issues with them.

The 3 different box heights in one box is a huge plus and a big space saver also I imagine. The only fear I would have is that it would not be as stable when used as a 28" box but it sounds like that fear should be laid to rest!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Michael Neal

Profile:

I just built two of these 20x24x28" boxes modeled after the Rogue fitness ones I saw at the games. Its not too difficult to do, anyone who took a shop class in high school could do it.

Here is the list of materials and tools you would need:
2 - 3/4"x4'x8' hardwood plywood sheets
box of 2" drywall screws
wood glue

tools
electric drill/screwdriver
countersink bit
rule, level, square
sander
jigsaw

The material for two boxes would cost around $100, depending on the price of wood at your home depot. I used oak, but you can use other hardwoods like birch. Also you would only use about one and half of the sheets.

A tip:
Get the Home Depot guy to do all the cuts for you - most likely you don't have a table saw at home and maybe you don't have a truck which you will need to carry the 4x8' pieces. It costs like 25 cents per cut - its so worth it and they will very accurate.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #13
Matthew Young

Profile:

Just put the rogue box through its first class. The WOD was a ladder from ten down to one. Pull-ups 28 in jumps and ghd sit-ups. The Corners on the box on began to give a bit using it as a 28 inch box. Was a little disappointed with that. Over time it could be a problem. But as a 20 and 24 the box is bomb proof.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
Mike Cheatham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Young View Post
Just put the rogue box through its first class. The WOD was a ladder from ten down to one. Pull-ups 28 in jumps and ghd sit-ups. The Corners on the box on began to give a bit using it as a 28 inch box. Was a little disappointed with that. Over time it could be a problem. But as a 20 and 24 the box is bomb proof.
Matthew,

Can you elaborate a little more on the issue when you used the box on the 28" side? How did the corners give?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cheatham View Post
Matthew,

Can you elaborate a little more on the issue when you used the box on the 28" side? How did the corners give?
Mike,

I just talked to Matt about this and it looks like it's an isolated issue. We haven't had this issue with any of the boxes we've been hammering on at our gym.

Kris
Old 08-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #16
Matthew Young

Profile:

Thank you for contacting me about this! Another reason why Rogue is top notch.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #17
Matthew Young

Profile:

Everything is all set. Thanks again Kris! Much appreciated! Rogue will always have my business
Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #18
Chris Roche

Profile:

If you have $ burning a hole in your pocket and your not the DIY type, then I'm sure the Rogue boxes are great. Or, you can do what I did about 6 months ago and make your own as previously suggested. I got the idea and plans from Rob Shaul at Mountain Athlete, www.mountainathlete.com (W/F/S). You can find the instructional/how-to video here: http://www.mtnathlete.com/subpage_de...190&page_ID=25 (W/F/S). Rob was also very generous in answering my questions.

I had the guys at Lowe's do the cuts and did the rest myself. The boxes are fantastic and have been very durable for us. The plans at Mountain Athlete are for 20/24" boxes, but you can do the math and get it with the 3 different sides if that's what floats your boat.

I've ordered from Rogue and am a fan, yet we are a small gym with a small budget. Each of my boxes has about $25 in materials and once I got the hang of it, it only took about 1/2 hour, or less, to assemble each box.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Dave Williams

Profile:

Hi all. I love rogue, and have ordered LOTS of stuff from them, but I wanted to share the plans I used to make my own version of the Games Box.

Mine has 20", 24" and 30" jump heights.

You'll need one piece of 3/4 ply per box, and 4 - 5 2x4's and some way to put them together (I used a nail gun with screws to tighten everything up). Its probably over engineered but I wanted something bombproof.

I attached a .pdf with some plans I made in sketchup, its got a diagram of how to cut the plywood.

Hope it helps someone!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf box jump.pdf (105.8 KB, 1093 views)
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #20
Justin Heller

Profile:

$160 from Rogue or roughly $30 plus a couple hours (tops) of work, to me it's a no brainer. Plus any Lowes, HD, or similar store will make the cuts for you so no issues with bad cuts. I happened to have a friend with a gigantic table saw so we did them that way. Try one yourself, you'll be surprised how simple, and your bank account will thank you.

By far the best instructions:

http://josephhinson.com/2011/04/plan...-pdf-download/

WFS

Last edited by Justin Heller : 08-03-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added link.