CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #231
Zan Vetter

Profile:
Re: Biggest Pet Peeve

Peeler? You get a pass, man. That's not a unitasker! It peels everything!

I'm talking bout your specific one-task-only tools like a pair of scissors that has 4 blades side by side for those oh so common occurrances when you just have to cut herbs really, really fast. Or an egg slicer, or piece of rubber in the shape of a tube that is designed to take the skin off garlic. Now I see why some people need a triple garage! Sheesh.

Garlic press though? At least you use it every day. As for getting the stem out of a pepper, you are cutting it incorrectly (I think). Lay it on it's side and cut it as if it had a pit. You can take the sides off in 4 cuts, chop off the bottom after that, and discard the rest. No paring knife required!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #232
John McCord

Profile:

Egg slicers are not uni-taskers....reference Alton Brown's good eats
Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #233
Dave Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Vetter View Post
or piece of rubber in the shape of a tube that is designed to take the skin off garlic.
My mother-in-law got us one of those the other day. and while she was showing me how well it worked on one piece of garlic, I was able to get the paper off of three using the (free) "put it under a flat knife and whang it" method. Still sitting in my utensil drawer though...
Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #234
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carpenter View Post
My mother-in-law got us one of those the other day. and while she was showing me how well it worked on one piece of garlic, I was able to get the paper off of three using the (free) "put it under a flat knife and whang it" method. Still sitting in my utensil drawer though...
Seriously... I think the market for gadgets like that consists almost entirely of gifts from people who don't cook to people who do.

Katherine
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #235
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Vetter View Post
Peeler? You get a pass, man. That's not a unitasker! It peels everything!

I'm talking bout your specific one-task-only tools like a pair of scissors that has 4 blades side by side for those oh so common occurrances when you just have to cut herbs really, really fast. Or an egg slicer, or piece of rubber in the shape of a tube that is designed to take the skin off garlic. Now I see why some people need a triple garage! Sheesh.

Garlic press though? At least you use it every day. As for getting the stem out of a pepper, you are cutting it incorrectly (I think). Lay it on it's side and cut it as if it had a pit. You can take the sides off in 4 cuts, chop off the bottom after that, and discard the rest. No paring knife required!
I'm normally irritated by such 1-purpose items also, you have to admit there's a few things that you really can't replace with something more generic (toasters and coffee makers come to mind). And I use my paring knife plenty for things like peeling veggies. I also give a free pass to:

- Waffle iron
- Air popper for popcorn
- Pizza slicer (knives usually aren't big enough)
- I have an egg cooker that does soft/medium/hard boiled eggs perfect every time... yes, I know how to use a pot to boil eggs, but this gets me more consistent results since I usually like soft-boiled.

That said, after a few years of battles I've convinced my wife to give away her "quesadilla maker", "grilled cheese sandwich maker", "iced tea maker", and other absurdities that were taking up massive amounts of space for no reason.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #236
Christy Labrie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCord View Post
Egg slicers are not uni-taskers....reference Alton Brown's good eats
I know, I am hiding my egg slicer so no one can steal it. I love it
Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #237
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
after a few years of battles I've convinced my wife to give away her "quesadilla maker", "grilled cheese sandwich maker", "iced tea maker", and other absurdities that were taking up massive amounts of space for no reason.
my wife has every one of these known to man, we own like five different blenders. one is a juicer, one is a smoothie maker (a.k.a a blender with a tap that gets clogged at the bottom so you pour it out of the top anyway), another has attachments to chop stuff, we also have separate pans for cooking one item, french toast pan, pancake pan, grilled cheese pan, three foreman grills, garlic press, slap chop, about ten different choppers none of which work even 1/4 as well as my wusthof 10 inch chefs knife.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 04-06-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #238
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
That said, after a few years of battles I've convinced my wife to give away her "quesadilla maker", "grilled cheese sandwich maker", "iced tea maker", and other absurdities that were taking up massive amounts of space for no reason.
I have one of those electric grills that you plug in in your kitchen. It accomplsihes all of that.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #239
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I have one of those electric grills that you plug in in your kitchen. It accomplsihes all of that.
You have a grill that makes iced tea?

My wife once bought an apple corer. It was in the discount section for two bucks. Thrown away a few years later. It was barely used.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #240
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
You have a grill that makes iced tea?

My wife once bought an apple corer. It was in the discount section for two bucks. Thrown away a few years later. It was barely used.
Oops. I just read the quesadilla and grilled cheese part.

I have an iced tea maker. It's called I take a jug, put tea bags in it, fill it with hot water, let it sit for a while, put it in the fridge and voila I have iced tea.