CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #221
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Biggest Pet Peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Katherine - thanks for the link. They do a very good job of making the bigger picture clear. I'll use what I learn from there to keep my students, co-workers, and friends from getting too stressed out Honestly, the biggest stress for me is trying to be the eye of the storm when everyone else around me has gone into panic. Thankfully, I've got extremely objective thinkers around me that I can turn to when I feel weighted down by the surrounding human environment.
Glad it was helpful. The MIT Nuclear department is almost entirely Navy ROTC students--with many ex-Navy professors -- so it's a culture that very much values calm under pressure.

Katherine
Old 03-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #222
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
Yep, they've got to fill up 24 hours somehow. Running the same story over and over isn't going to keep people tuning in. Especially if there's no sensationalist headlines in the first place.

I would wager that this constant access to news is one of the reasons that people are so overly paranoid about "stranger danger" but that's a discussion for another time.
Too bad the House voted to cut NPRs funding. Senate probably won't agree, but still. NPR may have some bias, but it is a million times better than any of the major 24hr news networks.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #223
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
Too bad the House voted to cut NPRs funding. Senate probably won't agree, but still. NPR may have some bias, but it is a million times better than any of the major 24hr news networks.
That's my pet peeve: useless cuts to the budget pretended to be major. Imagine having a cup of mashed potatoes w/ gravy, a cup of buttered corn, and large chicken leg and thigh deep friend, then a salad. Now imagine someone removing a slice of tomato from the salad claiming they're seriously reducing their caloric intake. (thanks to Bill Maher for this visual).

Sorry, but ANY cuts to the budget that does not talk about Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid or the Military is just jaw jacking. Anything else is usually just pandering to a special interest or symbolic.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #224
Zan Vetter

Profile:

People who use the following to "cook":
-paring knife
-plastic or glass cutting boards
-any unitasker kitchen utensil (ie. egg slicer, garlic press, anything from starfrit)
-microwave for anything except defrosting
-serrated knives for anything except slicing bread

There is nothing more painful than seeing somebody annihilate a chicken breast with a serrated knife. Or prepping a meal's worth of vegetables with a paring knife, on a glass cutting board. Or "cooking" "nachos" in the nuker. Or having an entire warehouse of kitchen utensils, each of which are good for only one specific task.

8" chef's knife, wood cutting board does about 98.66% of all kitchen tasks. Oh, and PROPER TONGS. Not the kind that just smush together when you are trying to flip a steak.

/existential angst
Old 03-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #225
Zan Vetter

Profile:

oh, oh, OH! Forgot one more. Inlaws have a gazillion dollar viking gas range and a sweet set of all-clad pots and pans, which the salesman told them were NOT TO BE USED ON HIGH HEAT. ???

-watching MIL boil water on medium
-FIL claims pots are crap because everything sticks...as he pokes, flips, and prods the meat every 2sec on medium heat.
ARGGGH!

Still, love them they are great people.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #226
Kim Thornton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Vetter View Post
-paring knife
-any unitasker kitchen utensil (ie. egg slicer, garlic press, anything from starfrit)

There is nothing more painful than seeing somebody annihilate a chicken breast with a serrated knife. Or prepping a meal's worth of vegetables with a paring knife, on a glass cutting board. Or "cooking" "nachos" in the nuker. Or having an entire warehouse of kitchen utensils, each of which are good for only one specific task.

8" chef's knife, wood cutting board does about 98.66% of all kitchen tasks. Oh, and PROPER TONGS. Not the kind that just smush together when you are trying to flip a steak.

/existential angst
I just had this great visual of some "Pampered Chef" sales associate giving a bad demonstration and trying to convince a room full of people to buy their stuff....and people BUYING it?!!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #227
James A Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
-paring knife

/existential angst

Ahhh so true! I love my chef's knife (although it is dangerous thing in the hands of the inexperienced, it is exceptionally sharp!)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #228
Keith Martin

Profile:

When your friends believe that your new business (gym) is their personal gym in which they can do/act any way they want cuz you're "friends".
Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #229
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:

/existential angst
Well, you'll get my paring knife and garlic press when you pry them from my cold dead hands, but that's because I use a lot of garlic and haven't figured out a safe way to cut the stem out of a bell pepper with a chef's knife.

But glass cutting boards? *shudder*

Katherine
Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #230
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
I see your point but I use peelers. Maybe I'm just unskilled with the knife but for me it's way quicker and safer for carrots, parsnips, etc.