CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Stephen Baker

Profile:
Loss of a pet

Hey guys,
Just went through the absolute hell of having to put a pet to sleep because of cancer (9 years old). Didn't even know she was sick until Monday. Have no desire to work out even though I know it's the best thing I could do.

Anyone else had to deal with this recently? I ask, because CF requires so much intensity, and that is something I have absolutely none of right now. Thanks.

Stephen
Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Loss of a pet

It'll probably get your mind off it for a while if you did a workout. I mean, what else can you think about but oxygen?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Body is willing, but the mind isn't any where near able. This just sucks. But I know it'll pass. I suppose it's just a dog-lover thing.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Gayle Malinowski

Profile:

Stephen - I'm really, really sorry for your loss. My husband and I went through something similar a few years ago with our two dogs - we lost both within 2 weeks of each other.

My motivation and energy level in general just plummeted for about a month. It was hard to mentally focus on any workout harder than running or biking. I think it's part of the grieving process.

It wasn't until we decided to adopt another dog...focus on a life that we could help...that we could move forward emotionally.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Thanks Gayle,
Fortunately we have two other dogs to focus on. My wife is having a hard time with them because they remind her of the one we lost. But we'll live. This is harder than any family member I have ever lost. I always have operated under the philosophy of 'get a new dog as soon as possible.' I'm just not sure that's the right move as of now.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
Victor Putz

Profile:

Ugh... I'm gearing up for something similar, as we've moved overseas and my dogs are still kennelled. We've found a place for the young guy for a few years, but I'm trying to fly my old guy over here for his last year or two, and it's going to wreck me when it happens (but I can't just leave him to die in a kennel, and no one wants to adopt a 12-year-old husky).

Good luck; rough stuff.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Stephen- I am SO sorry. Yesterday I came home and found my ferret had gotten his head stuck in his cage and died. A few weeks ago, our outside cat got rabies and had to be euthanized bc the vet didn't give her a rabies shot.
Last October, I had to euthanize my 13 y.o. husky shepherd mix that I was caring for during his 8 months of bone cancer. When I found out he was sick and after I put him to sleep, all I could do was sit on the couch and cry. I haven't gotten another dog since, and I do have one other. We're fostering one now, but I still don't think I'm ready for another.
Last night, I didn't go to my MA class or work out.
I think it's ok to let yourself take some time off-this is a very difficult thing, losing a pet.
God bless.... take it easy on yourself. This is rough.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Stephen;

My deepest sympathies.

Had to put my Greyhound down last month. Spinal nerve issue, vet injected him while his head rested in my lap. Still tear up talking about it. Waited two weeks, then rescued another great dog, that needed a good home.

See my blog a few weeks ago for pics of Iggie(Greyhound) and my Maya.

http://jaycohen.blogspot.com/search?...&max-results=7

Link is W/F/S

Hang in there, remember the good times.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:

Stephen, Camille, and Jay please accept my condolences. (I still sting every now and again from a GSD we put down in '92!)

Stephen, I think it would be best for you to continue to workout, or at least get back in the next couple of days. But don't worry about the intensity for now. It'll come back when you're ready.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Thanks for the thoughts everybody. I really feel good about the fact that she didn't suffer, and she really would have if we had decided to treat her.

I did make the right choice and brought her home to be burried. We went to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville Vet School to have them treat her. They have the best tools and doctors. Still we couldn't do anything. We had the choice of taking her, cremating, autopsy for study, or just disposal. I believe you never leave a loved on behind, so I came straight back to Nashville and burried her next to two other family dogs. Not fun but the right thing to do. Keep Dixie in your prayers, and we'll be ok.

Thanks.