CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #21
John Swanson

Profile:
Re: Inspirational Quotes

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."

"You have to perform at a consistently higher level than others. That's the mark of a true professional."

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."

"No pain, no palm; no thorns, no throne; no gall, no glory; no cross, no crown."

"Only those who dare to fail greatly, can ever achieve greatly."

"The man who has no imagination has no wings."
Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #22
Adam Head

Profile:

John, I love the traffic jam quote.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #23
Spencer Provow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Nauss View Post
This is on our SWAT Challenge coin here:

Whom shall I send...And who will go for us
Send Me...
I will go
Isiah 6:8

"This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it. Study it. Tweak it. Listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my *** six hours a day.
What are you on?" Lance Armstrong
I love the Lance quote!!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #24
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

"If you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing *****. I have no time or patience for ****ing pussies." -Coach Rippetoe
Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #25
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.—Mark Twain

Inspirational , just in a slightly different way.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #26
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Some Bruce Lee quotations...

“If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”

“Let an opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let an opponent smash into your flesh and you fracture his bone; let an opponent fracture your bone and you take his life! Do not be concerned with your escaping safely; lay your life before him!”
-good if you see your WOD as an opponent!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #27
Lamar Green

Profile:

'I was never afraid of failure, for I would sooner fail than not be among the best.' John Keats

"Where do you begin? Perfect is a good place to start. We must always focus on improving things that are already perfect." - J. Viol

"Unless you do your best, the day will come when, tired and hungry, you will halt just short of the goal you were ordered to reach, and by halting you will make useless the efforts and deaths of thousands." - Gen. George S. Patton

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"

"When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target."

This one reminds alot of CF in the lobo gym setting. I'm all too familiar with this
Herger the Joyous: When they come, we form a circle in the center of the room, backs to one another.
Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan: I am not a warrior.
Herger the Joyous: Very soon, you will be
Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #28
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

A good one for Crossfitters from the book that Brandon Oto linked to earlier in this thread:

'Our great need of the world to-day is for men and women who are good animals. To endure the strain of our concentrated civilization, the coming man and woman must have an excess of animal spirits. They must have a robustness of health. Mere absence of disease is not health. It is the overflowing fountain, not the one half full, that gives life and beauty to the valley below. Only he is healthy who exults in mere animal existence; whose very life is a luxury; who feels a bounding pulse throughout his body; who feels life in every limb, as dogs do when scouring over the field, or as boys do when gliding over fields of ice.'
Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #29
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

This is gonna be kind of long...it's not so much a quote as a passage from my favorite novel. My favorite quotes from it are emphasized with my italics.

WATER DANCER is about the training of a long-distance open water swimmer, Dorery Thomas. Other characters include her coach, the coach's wife, and her pacer, Anne Norton. (A pacer goes into the water at intervals to help the long-distance swimmer pick up the pace by swimming side-by-side.)

Anne Norton was herself a world class long-distance swimmner and racer until her retirement from competitive swimming. She's been asked to be Dorey's pacer for a record-setting open water swim. In this scene, she's facing a pool of water for the first time since her retirement. If she decides to be Dorey's pacer, by God, she's going to be in shape for it.

"Anne was talking and once in a while words slipped out aloud. She was asking herself some questions this morning. This was what facing the water you were about to jump into did. She's forgotten how it always did that. You had to be sure, to jump in. Had to be. To know exactly what you wanted out of it and how much that was worth to you. How much of a price you were willing to pay for what you wanted. If what you wanted was a lot you could bet the price would be high and it would come from your own flesh. Yes, yes, you could bet on it. And she wasn't so certain right now because, before, the goal had always been clear. Now the goal had changed....and because it hadn't yet become clear she wasn't really sure what she'd be willing to give. Always brought you back to how much you had to give. Then you understood something fundamental about yourself, risked knowing through and through the value you placed on your own effort. Risked finding out what was the carrot that led you on and what was the yearning that kept you going and what was the music that made you dance....

....So she wondered, asked herself discomforting questions until as escape she became aware of only one thing clearly, one desire the desire to swim now. Throw all this quesitoning junk to the winds because it would never be sorted out now and maybe it would never be sorted out ever and there really just on thing clear and that was to swim now....

It was silence that sparkled gold-stained blue and white at goggle level while she breaststroked. It was silence and she'd remembered again what the phrase blessed silence meant. All the babble and clutter. All the books, languages, words spoken, ideas important or trifling, bombardment of sights and of sounds. All cut away with a whooosh! and splash and then the gliding in continual rhythm.......In the first rush of silence she knew how much it was worth to her."

Susie
Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #30
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."