CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
My Pet Peeve as a Female

So my pet peeve of late at many CF gyms (from experience and hearing from other girls) is the lack of a ladies bar (15kg!). I understand that women are an integral part of CF gyms and we are expected to push ourselves the same as the guys. Most do (based on capabilites, experience, exposure, etc). But personally I dont understand why we are expected to use a mens bar? Our hand/grip is different than most men's and it would make life easier for us if we had the right equipment for our bodies. Truthfully that is probably the only piece of equipment that needs to be tailored this way since most CF gyms do have the bumpers to reduce the weights accordingly and the med balls or whatever else is needed to scale more appropriate to our bw!

If it is a lack of funding on the gyms parts, perhaps they could purchase 1 rower less or several med balls less. A decent ladies bar can be had for roughly $300!

Does this bother anyone else? Thoughts? Girls/gyms/Affiliates?

(Mods wasnt sure which forum this should be in, so if necc. please move accordingly!!)
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:
Re: My Pet Peeve as a Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarena Kopciel View Post
Does this bother anyone else? Thoughts? Girls/gyms/Affiliates?
I hear ya! The first bar we bought was a women's bar (for obvious reasons) but I'm not certain that everybody understands how much of a difference it makes. As women, we get used to "making do" with what is available (I wore boys' basketball shoes for years until they finally made women's basketball shoes) and so we often don't realize what a difference the right piece of equipment can make. After getting a "feel" for the women's bar, my female clients prefer it, but I would say that, prior to that, they really didn't understand because they had no context in which to evaluate the grip and feel.

Plus, add in the stigma (deserved or not) that often accompanies "equipment designed for women" and you have the current situation.

The solution? Aside from everyone moving to Watertown, CT, I'd say that awareness is the order of the day. And following awareness, action. Here's hoping that your posting of this thread is a step in the right direction, Sarena!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbeth Darsh View Post
I hear ya! The first bar we bought was a women's bar (for obvious reasons) but I'm not certain that everybody understands how much of a difference it makes. As women, we get used to "making do" with what is available (I wore boys' basketball shoes for years until they finally made women's basketball shoes) and so we often don't realize what a difference the right piece of equipment can make. After getting a "feel" for the women's bar, my female clients prefer it, but I would say that, prior to that, they really didn't understand because they had no context in which to evaluate the grip and feel.

Plus, add in the stigma (deserved or not) that often accompanies "equipment designed for women" and you have the current situation.

The solution? Aside from everyone moving to Watertown, CT, I'd say that awareness is the order of the day. And following awareness, action. Here's hoping that your posting of this thread is a step in the right direction, Sarena!
Thanks! I too dealt with it until I started Oly training with an Oly specific coach. Now when I go to my local affiliate or another gym and wanna train it is difficult for me!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:

I never knew there was such a thing as a womens' bar! I've always used the regular oly bar and don't have a problem with it.

What ticks me off is most of the high street sports shops don't stock shoes in my size (UK 7.5, sometimes 8 - US women's size 10). They often just go up to 7 (US 9) Sorry, but men's shoes are just not narrow enough in the heel.

And why can't I get running shoes in cool colours? I do not want shoes that are predominantly white with pastel trim - I run off road most of the time and a shoe would stay white for about 2 seconds. Besides, I can't abide pastels.

Women's razors is another thing. Men get cool black, gunmetal grey or Ferrari red razors with pictures of Stealth bombers and racing cards on the box. Us women get pink, sometimes with glitter. For the love of God, I am a snarling beast of a woman with calluses on her hand, not Malibu fricken Barbie! Give me a break!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Jones View Post
I never knew there was such a thing as a womens' bar! I've always used the regular oly bar and don't have a problem with it.

What ticks me off is most of the high street sports shops don't stock shoes in my size (UK 7.5, sometimes 8 - US women's size 10). They often just go up to 7 (US 9) Sorry, but men's shoes are just not narrow enough in the heel.

And why can't I get running shoes in cool colours? I do not want shoes that are predominantly white with pastel trim - I run off road most of the time and a shoe would stay white for about 2 seconds. Besides, I can't abide pastels.

Women's razors is another thing. Men get cool black, gunmetal grey or Ferrari red razors with pictures of Stealth bombers and racing cards on the box. Us women get pink, sometimes with glitter. For the love of God, I am a snarling beast of a woman with calluses on her hand, not Malibu fricken Barbie! Give me a break!
Yeah, so I guess no pink KBs for you Cal (or me either!!) And we have the same size shoe too--hear ya on the shoe thing as well! And I have a wide food but the men's last isnt right for my foot either and woman's are often too narrow!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Cal Jones

Profile:

Yeah, my feet are an awkward shape - really narrow in the heel and wide at the toe, like duck's feet. I actually can't wear shoes (as in pumps or courts) because my heel lifts right out of them when I walk. I can only wear boots or trainers, or shoes with an ankle strap. There are some Nike trainers that fit me really well but a lot of their current range are far too wide in the heel. I'm trying a pair of narrow fit New Balance for running outdoors, but damn they're heavy. Hmm guess I need to start a new thread for trainer advice.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah, my feet are an awkward shape - really narrow in the heel and wide at the toe, like duck's feet. I actually can't wear shoes (as in pumps or courts) because my heel lifts right out of them when I walk. I can only wear boots or trainers, or shoes with an ankle strap. There are some Nike trainers that fit me really well but a lot of their current range are far too wide in the heel. I'm trying a pair of narrow fit New Balance for running outdoors, but damn they're heavy. Hmm guess I need to start a new thread for trainer advice.
Saw your thread--here in US we call trainers sneakers so ppl may be confused. Might be worthwhile to add that it for us non_british people!!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:

Check out the La Sportiva Trail Runners. http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/523 (wfs)
It's a dedicated performance shoe that might make you happy.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Glenn Pendlay makes a good woman's bar for $200+

http://store.wfwclub.com/bars.html

link safe
Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I realized how valuable they are to have at the Toronto Cert. I promised to have many in my place, especially since I typically train more females than males.