CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Re: how did you find crossfit?

I was training in jiujitsu and wanted to get stronger and more fit for competitions, but didn't know how. I only knew I didn't want to go to a gym and sit on some machines by myself. A teammate of mine was doing CrossFit and Ross Enemait stuff at home on his own, and told me to check out CrossFit.com. I looked at the site and thought it was awesome, but thought I'd never be able to do it on my own, so I looked and saw out of the very few affiliates there were at that time, there was one just a few miles from my apartment. That would be Petranek Fitness, which is now, 3 years later, my full-time workplace.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

I think I found it from either Tyler Haas' forum (powerathletesmag) or Roger Harrell's (drillsandskills).
Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
Don King

Profile:

Via this post on Blackfive.com about Lt. Michael Murphy.

Above link is W/F safe...unless your a anti-war liberal.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #14
Travis Loest

Profile:

saw about five guys walking around in CrossFit T-Shirts in our chow hall in Baghdad. Asked my First Sergeant what that was all about. He said, "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about that, the XO from the 101st company was telling me about this workout program. We should check it out." Checked it out, drank the Kool-Aid and set up a refreshment stand!!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #15
Travis Hall

Profile:

Was searching for the net for info on "how to increase pullups."

This inevitably led to CrossFit. Looked at some of the WOD's, saw Cindy and Mary and was immediately convinced.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
David Wood

Profile:

Tyler Hass of ringtraining.com posted something over on Dragon Door back in 2000 or 2001, that said, in effect: "Hey, check out this CrossFit stuff".

Came then, never went back. (Thanks again, Tyler!)
Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #17
Adam Noble

Profile:

Couple of things all converged at the same time. I was trying to put myself back together after a battle with cancer, and the prospect of the same old boring 3 sets of 10, long hours in the gym thing was daunting and pretty depressing to contemplate. At the time I was starting to ease back into things, my good friend Tom (who had recently quit his job to coach gymnastics) had a couple workouts with Andy Petranek, which knocked him sideways. He told me to check out the website, and I didn't. About a week later, the L.A. Times ran a great article on Crossfit, and I went and checked out the site (you know because it was written down this time). Been here ever since.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #18
Joe Shininger

Profile:

The 300.

Best movie ever, and it led me here. It's like going to the best party you've ever been to, and you get the number of the hottest chick there. A duet of BOOYAH.

Edit-hahaha just noticed my Avatar went through after all....I feel like a 300 fanboy now
Old 01-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #19
John Edmondson

Profile:

There was a teeny, tiny little article at the bottom of the page in Men's Health or Men's Fitness about 2 years ago. One of those "Best..." articles. Y'know, best hair goo, best sportscar for under $10,000, best way to spend spring break, blah, blah. Anyway, "Helen" was the best way to kick your own *** in under 10 minutes, or something like that. So I jumped right into it, tried "Helen" without scaling, without reading the FAQ, and did indeed kick my own *** in under 10 minutes. Of course, I only broke 10 minutes because I failed to finish round two. After that I was a believer, though it took me weeks to work up the nerve to return to the site and take a bit saner approach, but return I did and haven't left since.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #20
Craig Brown

Profile:

Preparing to move to Seattle, sold my Vulcan Racks to Ryan of CrossFit Flagstaff. Moved, went to see the Rollerderby at The Hanger and saw the old location of Crossfit North, remembered the name from Ryan, looked it up online.

Craig